Options

Our trip - July 17, 2011

We had a great time on the Costa Rica Jungle & Rainforests trip. A few thoughts to those who are going:
1. I was very glad that I brought: Keens (Waterfront type - need toe protection and something that can get wet), rain poncho (not a raincoat - you can stay cooler with a poncho and you can keep your backpack dry underneath), American cash (every place we went accepted $, but not all accepted credit cards), Bonine (for motion sickness on bus rides and small plane trip - even though neither were THAT bad), benedryl cream for bug bites, pepto-bismol or other stomach meds (food was great, not spicy but just different, so we had minor issues. Water drinkable pretty much everywhere), soap/shampoo (didn't like the hotels' offerings), more than one bathing suit (and for the ladies, one that can be worn under shorts).
Also wished for more quick dry clothes - not just for raft trip but for other days when we got damp from the rain. The two days in Tortuguera were wet, and nothing dries out there! We had lots of rain, but it was mostly at night, and didn't get in the way of our activities too much. Didn't think we'd need warmer clothes, but San Jose was cool, so was wishing for jeans and long sleeves/jacket that night.
2. Activities at Hacienda Guachipelin were somewhat different than what we understood them to be. The "tubing" during rainy season can be VERY sporty - rushing rapids along a rocky river. Most people thought it was rather dangerous - just be aware of what you are getting into if you do it. For the folks that did the volcanic mud bath (it's not a bath - they paint you with mud), it was a longer walk there that some of the older folks had trouble with, and a swinging bridge that scared a few folks. We did the horseback ride to the waterfall. It was nice, but with all the water, the water around the falls had too much current and it scared my 11 yr old. Again, depends on time of year and how much rain, but just know this is possible.
3. Trip was a good mix of activities and down time - good pools in all hotels for kid fun in the afternoons and evenings. We saw lots of wildlife - from that perspective, the trip was all it was cracked up to be. Enjoyed seeing the industry of Costa Rica - pineapple plantation, coffee plantation, and a view of a banana processing plant. Trip would have been better, especially for my daughter, with more interactive activities to help with kid bonding early on. Our guide was good and very nice, but not much of a "camp director" type. I also would have appreciated some entertainment of some kind, as we weren't exposed to Costa Rican music or culture that much. Not much to do after dinner except pool.
4. It's early to bed, early to rise there! Even though I know better, I was surprised when it got dark around 6:30 in July!
Would be happy to answer more questions!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Marcy for the post. We are headed to Costa Rica on August 6th for this tour. We extended our stay by one extra night on both ends of the trip. I was wondering if you did the turtle nesting trip at night? I have four kids going - ages 17, 15, 13, and 10. They are really looking forward to this. I'm sure my husband and I will have more questions before we go!! Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes, everyone on our trip got to witness a giant green sea turtle laying her eggs. It was quite an experience. You take a boat to the beach after dark, wait near the beach until the turtle conservancy folks spot a turtle in the right stage (if you get there before they start nest building, you scare them away). Then you break up into groups and head to the designated spot with other conservancy guides. Once you get to the beach, all flashlights are turned out, and you hold hands, walking in single file to protect everyone from injury, to the designated spot. Take your time and follow their instructions, as one member of our group broke away from the line, and fell on the beach. He got a cut and a strained shoulder. There is jungle growth next to the beach, so it is somewhat rocky and strewn with branches, etc., so be careful walking.
    They place a little infrared (I think?) light under the turtle so you can really see the eggs coming out, and if you stay long enough, you'll see her start to cover her nest up. We left then (this process can last hours). They have 8pm tours and 10pm tours (through the park service, not through Tauck), and as I understand it, Tauck gets tickets to one or the other. You may wait awhile before they spot a turtle (and there's no guarantee they will), but if you do the 8pm tour, they won't wait long enough to bump into the 10pm folks.
    Probably a longer answer than you wanted, but just thought I'd explain it a little more. I'll hope you will have a lovely night, as we did, and that you will get to witness the egg laying as well. Tortuguera is quite an experience - loved it!
  • Options
    According to the info online, we need to be "resort casual" for the first and last dinner. What exactly does that mean?? Thanks!!
  • Options
    What we saw was mainly polo shirts/nice shorts for men, and shorts with a nice top or capris or sundresses for the women. Both are held at the hotels, and could be a little cool - the last dinner is the ONLY meal we had inside the entire trip, so was cool from the A/C. The first night has an intro meeting inside, but then dinner is in the outside hotel restaurant. The meeting room was SO COLD when we were there that we needed a jacket.
    This is a very casual trip, so almost anything other than your bathing suit is acceptable!
  • Options
    We are planning a trip for July 2012. Is this a good time to see the turtles lay eggs? Also, do you do zip-lining? My grandson will be 10. Is this a good age for the trip? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Yes, 10 is a good age. 8 is the minimum age for ziplining. Kids on our trip ranged from 7-18. Quite a few in the 8-12 year old range.
    Ziplining is done on Tuesday afternoon of the trip that starts on Sunday evening. Sky trek is the name of the company - you can google for more information.
    Yes, July is a good time for turtles, August may be even better from what I read. We saw them on our trip on Thursday night. Not always guaranteed, but they only even attempt to do it on the July/Aug trips.
  • Options
    We have read a couple conflicting facts about the electical outlets in the hotels. Do you need adapters or are they the same as here in the US? Thanks.
  • Options
    My cell phone charger, my camera battery charger, and my daughter's DS were all charged without adapters in the three hotels on the trip. Never got out my converter/adapter kit.
  • Options
    Thanks Marcy for all the info. We leave tomorrow!! Another couple questions, should we be bringing those little lights the kids got in their tauck backpacks. It said somewhere to have flashlights at night. Is that needed? Also, I am assuming that since we are not drinking the water down there that we shouldn't bring a refillable water bottle for hikes. Is that correct?
  • Options
    Have a great time - I may be replying too late!
    Some people brought the flashlights - you can use them for a little while when walking to the beach to see the turtles, but have to turn them off when you are on the beach itself.
    I wouldn't see a need for the refillable water bottles - Tauck supplies bottled water all the time.
    DO bring your green bag to pack for Tortuguera!
    Be sure to report back!
This discussion has been closed.