Options

Train trip from Cusco to Puno

Hi
Can anyone share their take on the train trip from Cusco to Puno? It seems like a long time on the train. Any thoughts on the stop at La Raya?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    VMVM
    edited July 2011
    I did this tour with Tauck on May and the train ride was great. It is the Orient Express so you can expect great quality and yummy food. Also, you can walk around the train and take amazing pictures of the Andes from the observation area on the back of the train. It is 10 hours and the stop in La Raya is very short (30 minutes?) enough to buy some warm gloves or scarf (definitely need to negotiate prices) also don't forget to take a picture by the sign that shows the altitude of 1400+...very cool to show to friends and family. Remember to drink lots of water and coca tea. Once you are in Puno, you'll start feeling the headaches from the high altitude if you haven't felt it in cusco already. Gatorade helps if you like to drink that...

Check out this picture that someone took: http://www.360cities.net/image/peru-rail-andean-explorer-la-raya-4313m-peru

The stands that you see with merchandise next to the train is the stop at La Raya. That's pretty much the whole stop.
  • Options
    VM wrote:
    I did this tour with Tauck on May and the train ride was great. It is the Orient Express so you can expect great quality and yummy food. Also, you can walk around the train and take amazing pictures of the Andes from the observation area on the back of the train. It is 10 hours and the stop in La Raya is very short (30 minutes?) enough to buy some warm gloves or scarf (definitely need to negotiate prices) also don't forget to take a picture by the sign that shows the altitude of 1400+...very cool to show to friends and family. Remember to drink lots of water and coca tea. Once you are in Puno, you'll start feeling the headaches from the high altitude if you haven't felt it in cusco already. Gatorade helps if you like to drink that...

Check out this picture that someone took: http://www.360cities.net/image/peru-rail-andean-explorer-la-raya-4313m-peru

The stands that you see with merchandise next to the train is the stop at La Raya. That's pretty much the whole stop.

Hi, My wife and I are considering the Peru/Bolivia tour. Can you give us any general impressions/cautions about this tour? Is Machu Pichu constantly shrouded in fog and mist or do you actually get to see it???? We're considering Sept 2012 to travel. Have Yellow Fever shots from an Amazon cruise. What about visas, etc. Thanks for any info. If you would like, you can respond to ndonofrio@verizon.net.
    Nicknack
This discussion has been closed.