Weather

How cold will it be on board as we cross the Drake Passage, and each night on Board.

Comments

• My wife and I did this tour in January. Inside the ship shirtsleeves are good. The outside temperature was usually in the upper 20s (F) or low 30s. We had snow one day and sea ice one morning with several sunny days. If you are on the bow while the ship is moving the wind chill is significant but the parka provided is sufficient. It's a great trip that you'll enjoy.
  • How cold will it be on board as we cross the Drake Passage, and each night on Board.
  • How cold will it be on board as we cross the Drake Passage, and each night on Board.

My husband has ski gloves for the Antarctic trip that we're going on in February of next year. Are they sufficient? What about athletic type sweat socks; are they fine as well?
  • I have been to Antarctica 3 times. The first time was during the second half of February 2001, the second time was the first half of November 2007, and the last time was the first half of December 2009. I was warm enough with ski gloves on the first trip. For the next two I used "fingerless" mittens (the end folds back) for easier use of my camera.

I wore either a knit hat or baseball cap and used the parka's hood, as necessary.

I wore long underwear the first time ashore in 2001. I was too warm, so I never wore them again. In fact, while I took them on the next two trips, but never wore them.

The rain pants are a must. In addition to keeping you dry, they keep the wind out.

I wore normal weight athletic socks and was warm enough. That said, I'm from New England and am used to winters here.
  • What type of rain pants do you suggest? Someone suggested the rubber pants you can get at home depot, but they seem heavy. I was thinking of the Marmot style of wind/rain pants you can get at Dicks Sporting Goods.

I am travelling in December with my husband and 2 kids.
  • RCSRCS
    edited August 2011
    I just looked at those pants at Dick's Sporting Goods website. Yes that is what I was talking about. I got mine from L.L. Bean, maybe you could look there as well. I'm sure places like Cabela's and REI would also carry them. I took a quick look at Walmart's site and they had some. I would probably look for ones that are "breathable".

I wouldn't get the ones from Home Depot.
  • What sort of jacket will be needed for on board during cruising times? I know they provide a parka for going on the ice, but if we are just walking around on the ships decks, will a light fleece be adequate or will we need a heavier jacket? Packing is going to be a challenge as we are spending some time in Brazil after the trip and wont be needing winter clothes.
  • I would suggest asking Tauck what type of parka they are providing. I have a parka that has a removable liner which is a fleece. I found this to be sufficient. If I needed more, I put the liner back in the shell.

To maximize my contents I use a L.L. Bean duffel bag (no wheels). The bag is very durable at what I have found to be the least weight. I saw no reason to waste several pounds on the piece of luggage itself. I have used the duffel to go to Galapagos, Machu Picchu, South Africa, and twice to Antarctica. All with no problems. I use packing cubes to keep things organized.
  • "I use packing cubes to keep things organized."

What are packing cubes?

This is my next thing to stress about...packing...right now we have 2 huge suitcases, soft sided with wheels. We usually take them both for our family of 4 to travel. Tauck said space is somewhat limited, so I was thinking of taking one medium case for each of us. But I agree, the weight of the suitcase is hefty, and if you didnt need to add that in so much the better. I think I will look into duffle bags from LL Bean. Do you use the largest one? Are they durable? My husbands concern is bringing something fragile home. Anything super fragile we would carry on. I dont know what to expect in the way of souveniers either.

If we didnt have to bring those rubber boots, we would have a lot more room.
  • RCSRCS
    edited August 2011
    The packing cubes that I bought are from eBags. If you do a Google search you will see these as well as others.

I believe my bag is a "large". It's weight is 2 lb. 4 oz., while the same size with wheels is 8 lb. 2 oz. I would say it is very durable. Look at the trips that I used it on. It shows no wear. My fragile and valuable items are ALWAYS in my carry on. You might see some souvenirs in Ushuaia, possibly something on the ship and at a base on the peninsula if they are able to visit one. At a base you would probably be limited to hat, shirt, coffee mug, postcards etc.

I know it is easy to make all kinds of suggestions on things that save weight and space and spend your money. When I went the first time, I took yellow construction boots, over the shoe, from Home Depot. They weighed 5 lbs. On a trip from Russia to Alaska, someone had Neos Adventurer boots 2.2 lbs. I got a pair as soon as I got home as I knew I was going to be doing weight limited adventures requiring boots. I live in New England and get to use them during the winter. Not only do they weigh less, but a pair fits into a stuff sack. I find it easier to walk in boots with shoes rather than socks only. The socks slid otherwise. I would say the least expensive option if you didn't have a future use for the boots would be at Walmart.

Hope this doesn't confuse the issues.
This discussion has been closed.