August 15th, 2011 Budapest to Amsterdam

2 weeks to go and we are getting excited. Anyone else going to be on this particular cruise ? this is our 6th trip with Tauck but each is such an adventure. We hope to arrive a day early in Budapest and stay at the La Meridien. how much language barrier will we encounter at the hotel etc? When we went to Italy I studied phrases etc. But the language of Hungary is too daunting for me.
Would love to hear from fellow travelers. We are Oklahomans looking to escape the heat. We have had 3 weeks of heat over 100 degrees with the rest of the July being in the high 90s. Looking forward to an amazing trip. See you-all soon.

Comments

• Stayed two nights at the Le Meridien in June before taking this same tour... no language barrier at all...everyone from the desk to the conceirge to the bellhops to waiters in restaurant spoke English.
    We walked all over central Pest and had no problem communicating.
  • Thanks so much, I feel encouraged that we can do this too. Did you get local currency or find that you did not really need it, used CC etc?
  • We are doing the same, arriving from Omaha a day early. Also ready to leave the hot weather behind. This is our fist Tauck trip. You sound like you have been very satisfied with their service. We have heard nothing but good things and are looking forward to the experience. See you in Budapest.
  • Looking forward to meeting you and all the others. Think cool till we can get out of this heat!
  • We are doing the same. Arriving in Budapest a day early to have some time to walk around the city before getting onboard on Monday. We are from Charlotte, NC and this will be our second Tauck tour, but first river cruise....so very excited to meet everyone!
  • rlbridwell wrote:
    Thanks so much, I feel encouraged that we can do this too. Did you get local currency or find that you did not really need it, used CC etc?

We never did get local currency while in Budapest. Used credit card and euros...this was not a problem for us. We arrived on Wed. and sailed out of Budapest on the Swiss Sapphire on Sat night.
  • Thanks for the information. Just 2 days to go!
  • Have fun... It's a great trip!!
This discussion has been closed.