Options

S. A. Night Safaris

My wife and I are participating in Tauck's S.A. Elegant Adventure during September, 2011. Several of my friends, who have been on safaris, have mentioned how much they have enjoyed "night safaris".

Perhaps, someone who has taken this tour with Tauck, can tell me if there will be any opportunities to take a "night safari" during our stay. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I took this trip this past May. Both at Sabi Sabi and Tinga the safaris where from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and then again from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. In early May it got dark around 6:00 p.m., so the last hour was pitch dark. Given the remoteness of the area, lack of lights, it was very easy to see the sky full of stars. We really enjoyed seeing the Milky Way.
  • Options
    RCS, thanks for your helpful comments about "night safaris".

Since you have been on a previous "Elegant Adventure", I hope you (or any other past participant) may be willing to answer a few more questions about your experience.

1) On your safaris, were the camps able to provide you with a pair of "binoculars" or did everyone have to bring their own set?

2) I see that Tauck no longer spends a whole day in the "wine country". It looks like they have replaced that day with extra days for safaris ... looks like a good decision to me. Even so, my wife and I will have one extra day in Cape Town.
    We're considering spending that day on a tour through the wine country.
    Any thoughts regarding that or any other good options?

Thanks again for your help,

Curious
  • Options
    I don't know if the camps supplied binoculars. I didn't hear anybody ask or the option mentioned. You might look at each the website for the lodges or contact them directly.

We arrived a day early in Cape Town. As Tauck doesn't really do a City tour there, we took a city sightseeing tour (www.citysightseeing.co.za/). We did the Red Tour and got off at several of the stops. I see at there website that the mention a wine tour, maybe that would be what you are looking for.
This discussion has been closed.