Options

Machu Picchu

I would appreciate hearing detailed information regarding the Machu Pichu portion of the trip.
 How was the Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel location regarding its access to the ruins? As noted in this forum, and in the past, some people are opting to book the Sanctuary lodge on their own.
 What was it like walking/climbing in the area? Is it very steep? Narrow? Level of walking rated easy or difficult?
 Did you go off to explore on your own or stay as a group?
 Time frame spent at site?
 Photo opps?
 Suggestions and insights?

Much thanks.[
size=5][/size]

Comments

• Options
    While I have traveled with Tauck on several trips, I didn't go with them on my trip to Machu Picchu. I stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge, which is locate just outside the ruins. You should note that the cost is between $800 and $1000 a night plus you would have to get up there on your own if Tauck is not staying there.

Most walking was not difficult. There were several options, with some being more difficult. I went up to the top for the sunrise and had to rest while other moved right along. It requires climbing steps and paths without railings, not handicapped accessible. Realistically, you can do as little or as much as you want.

Great photo opps!!
  • Options
    Pepper87, To your questions:

1- Inkaterra- the location is in Aguas Caliente, which is the town near Machu Pichu. There is a public bus that everyone has to take to go up to the ruins. The hotel was great! I don't think anyone in our tour group in May stayed at the Sanctuary....it's so much easier to just stay where Tauck's group stays as they take care of the luggage.

2-Walking/climbing in the area: mild/medium (because you are out of breath every few steps, one of the side effect of high altitude) but it's narrow in some areas as you go up and a lot of uneven surfaces. Drink lots of water.

3-The first day we stayed as a group with different options to go back to the hotel. The next morning you are free to go back to Machu Pichu or go shopping. We met again as a group for lunch and then took the train at 1pm to head to Cusco.

4- the first day we arrived at Machu Pichu is when we took our Tauck group picture and if you do the tour the rest of the day with the Guide, the spot to take THE picture is where the famous National Geographic photo was taken (the one that you see everywhere for Machu Pichu)

5- don't forget your hat, sunblock, water and very important: bug spray!! There are no-see-um bugs in Machu Pichu and by the time you start scratching, it's too late....you'll be itching for days....Of course you can't see them and they'll go for any open spot (legs, arms if you are wearing tshirt and shorts). It's worse in the summer and remember that summer in Peru is our US winter months (December - March) so June - Sept is winter in Peru. But the weather in Machu Pichu is always warmer than the other cities you visit.
This discussion has been closed.