April 2015 Journey - Spotlight on Australia

My wife and I are booked on the April, 2015 trip to Australia Can we expect Spring like weather (our Spring) in Melbourne and Sydney, and warmer weather in the Outback and at the resort in Cairns? Thanks, Gary

Comments

• Gary, look at the weather guide on the page for your tour in Before You Go. it gives temps for Cairns and Melbourne, you will have to look up others on Weather.com. Remember it is the Southern hemisphere and seasons are reverse to ours!
  • And you need to remember, Gary, that Australia is a Very Big Continent. (The lower 48 fits inside Australia, after all.) April is a pretty good time to visit, given the huge variations in climate over such a large land mass. Not that the weather gods pay attention to our calendars, but you should miss the cyclone & monsoon season in the tropical north, the extreme heat of the centre and the slightly less extreme summer heat of Melbourne … while experience some good autumn weather in the temperate south.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Gary K. wrote:
    My wife and I are booked on the April, 2015 trip to Australia Can we expect Spring like weather (our Spring) in Melbourne and Sydney, and warmer weather in the Outback and at the resort in Cairns? Thanks, Gary
    Hi Gary,

Although I defer to Jan who lives in Australia, we took this trip this past April and our weather was just about perfect. Our flight into Melbourne (from Sydney) as a bit delayed by a cyclone approaching from the North, but our weather in Melbourne was great. Light jacket needed in mornings and evenings but no jacket during most of the day. Alice Springs and Uluru were clear, sunny dry and about low 80's. Tauck supplied us with fly nets for Uluru and altho. we did use them, the flies were not that bothersome (until you try to drink through the netting LOL) Cairns and the rain forest were warm and a little muggy but not uncomfortable and there was no rain. Our Great Barrier Reef excursion boat supplied lycra wet suits not because of cool water temps, but to protect from the possibiity of jellyfish. Sydney was wonderful 70-80. The only rain we had was on the day we flew out of Sydney. We wish you the same weather and be sure to enjoy every minute of your trip. Sherry
  • Hi Sherry,

I keep trying to steer people away from visiting over Christmas and New Year … unless they are visiting family, of course! Shoulder seasons are much more reliable and pleasant for travelling … IMHO. Summer in the Centre can be brutal. It is a dry desert, after all. Why anyone would actually choose to visit there in the worst travel season is beyond me. The prime time to visit the outback is July/August. But you only have a little more than a week to see a couple of icons spread over a large and disparate region. That's hard to do in anyone's language. That's why I usually suggest Autumn or Spring. And as you say, with the co-operation of the weather gods, April can be delightful. Glad you had a great visit.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Sherry and Jan: Thank you both for the very informative comments. Always more interesting to hear of one's experience first hand rather than simply check statistical averages. We've actually chosen to travel in April for the moderate weather conditions. Gary
  • Well, having said April is good, let's all cross our fingers …. What the heck! Cross everything!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Sherry:

On the Great Barrier Reef excursion, in addition to the wet suits, were snorkels, masks, etc. made available? Want to take advantage of this great experience, and will bring my own if not supplied. Thanks, Gary
  • Gary K. wrote:
    Sherry:

On the Great Barrier Reef excursion, in addition to the wet suits, were snorkels, masks, etc. made available? Want to take advantage of this great experience, and will bring my own if not supplied. Thanks, Gary

HI Gary,

We loved our snorkeling experience.

Yes, everything was provided in ample supply. However, we like having our own masks which we know fit, so we brought our own masks and snorkels.

I only did the snorkeling and didn't want to give up one minute of that...I went outside the dock area along the outer ropes. Others on the trip took the naturalist guided tour which is at extra cost. I would have done that but the guide said there might be some stronger currents there. I am a good swimmer, but I like to be in areas where I am in control. The people who went on that excursion said there was a good current but it was manageable and they saw great stuff. Sorry I didn't do it. Make your decision when you can assess the conditions.

My husband took the submersible tour and said that the boat went further out on the reef where the reef was healthier and full of color.

FYI: Everyone I spoke to, and many of the tour descriptions talked about the choppy seas and seasickness. We took precautions and used seasickness patches. I thought the trip was incredibly smooth and comfortable....others felt really bad. Don't know it's a factor of one's personal chemistry or the medication but we had a fantastic time.
  • Thanks Sherry for that very comprehensive reply and suggestions. Also, the fyi regarding possible sea sickness. One extra item we need to be sure to bring along (in addition to my snorkel and mask!). Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file