Things to do in Santiago

My husband and I will be in Santiago 2 days before our tour begins next year. Also, we have the morning/afternoon before the opening dinner open. What might be some suggestions on what to do during these available times? Thank-you.

Comments

• Trip Advisor has several recommendations, including Museum of Pre-Columbian Art (Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino). The hotel is right near a metro stop (El Golf), so should be pretty easy to access different parts of the city.
  • We hired a guide the day before and went to Valparaiso and Vina Del Mar. It was a beautiful drive and well worth it.
  • Thank-you for the suggestions! Do either of you know what the luggage restrictions are on the in- tours flights?
  • Hi, If you look mat my postings regarding luggage restrictions, you will see that we were told those flights restrict the carry on to the size of a small back pack... which is really restricting...

Hatwell
  • I do recall that the planes we took within South America were very small and you would not want to carry more than a small backpack or small carry on. Truly, it is a casual tour. Don't overpack.
  • To Hatwell and Roz47...thank-you for the information. I'm just trying to figure out what I can take and not overpack, but still have necessary items!!
  • Thank you Roz47 for the info on the side trip to Valparaiso and Vina Del Mar. We went on line and found a tour guide company called Santiago Adventures and will book a guided tour the day before our tour begins... Pat Hatwell
  • I couldn't remember the name of the tour company we used, but when I read your reply, I think it was Santiago Adventures. Our tour guide was excellent,and we had a beautiful day. Enjoy!
  • To Hatwell...please post your opinion regarding the day tour that you are taking to Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso when you return. Would like to know your impressions? Our tour isn't until March, but I'm interested in booking something before then. I also looked at viator.com and it seems as if they have a private tour and a group tour to these same areas. I'm not sure what company they contract for their tour...maybe it's Santiago Adventures. I did look up Santiago Adventures and this looks like a great tour! Have a fabulous trip!
  • We are taking the Sept 25 Essence of South America and we have just booked the Valparaiso and Vina Del Mar tour for the pre day in Santiago.
  • We are also taking the Sept. 25th Essence Tour. Thanks for the recommendation of the Valparaiso, Vino Del Mar Tour. We will also book a tour....
  • We booked thru GrayLine. We also booked two tours ( Petropolis and Tijuca Rain Forest ) on the post day in Rio.

• Is anyone going on the September Sept. 18 Essence of S. America trip?
    We are and are excited about it.

Rubyh
  • A resounding agreement on the side trip to Vina del Mar & Valporaiso!! My husband & I booked our own tour to Chile, Argentina & Brazil (Kept running into the Tauck group !) On the side trip we took to VdM & Valpo, our guide stopped at Emiliana, an organic winery. Fun extra if you like wine. My guess is that the Tauck itinerary includes a trip to a winery. If not, and if you enjoy wine, another suggestion would be a trip to a winery -- there are many. We went to Concha y Toro on one of our morning outings.

Also, re: Rio, if you go there -- a long walk down the beach (we stayed at the JW Marriott on Copacabana) (to the north end ??) is a resturant called "Marius" which our guide strongly suggested. There is a lot of food and it is definitely a "sight to behold" I referred to it as a wonderful place to play "I SPY a...". As our guide Gus said, be sure to check out the banos!! (Gus also said it was a 5 to 10 min. walk from the hotel-- more like 30 - we took a cab back.

Also, when you see the elaborate sand castles on the beach (most about the Olympics), be prepared to leave a "tip" if you take a picture! They'll chase you down!
    Peg B
  • Peg B, what tour guide company did you use in Rio? We will have an extra day there and should probably use a guide. Thanks on the tips... we will check out the restaurant "Marius" and keep money on us for the tips for picture taking... Thanks, Pat Hatwell (on the October 4th tour).
  • To HATWELL- Just saw your post of 9/25. On 9/25 we were in Tanzania Africa, just starting our Tanzania/Kenya Classic Safari with Tauck (GREAT trip!!) Got back on Oct. 8. You are most likely at the end of your trip now (maybe in Rio or on the way home). If I had gotten your message sooner I could have looked up our guide's #. Gus was wonderful - an independent contractor who got our airport pick-up and return. We then booked a full day with him for the next day. Hope you had a wonderful trip. It was our favorite vaction of all-time -- until Africa with Tauck!! Didn't you just LOVE Iguazu Falls!!! Was your weather good for your Lake Crossing? Ours was wonderful (Jan. 2010)

Peg B., Minneapolis
  • The whole trip was wonderful... loved Igauzu Falls, but loved even more the crossing of the Lakes and Patagonia... just a beautiful peaceful place in the world... the ash at the Llaso Llaso Hotel made a few people cough, so if it has gotten worse, that is not good, but staying inside at the hotel is not a bad thing and they have an inside pool which is terrific. Enjoy your trip, Hatwell
  • To Hatwell...thank-you for posting about your trip! We are looking forward to this adventure! Did you also do a day trip from Santiago to Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso with Santiago Adventures? If so, please share your thoughts about this trip. Thank-you.
  • edited October 2011
    We did a day trip in Chile to Valparisio and Vina del Mar... you may be better off without the Valparisio part, it's a typical port town with really nothing to see, but Vina del Mar looked really pretty. We used Santiago Adventures and our guide was named "Chris". He was a terrific guy, a nice family man, spoke excellent English and knowledgeable. You can ask for him when you book your tour. If you do use him, tell him "The Hatwells" said hello.

Our trip with Tauck was terrific. Bring very warm clothing for the first half of the trip, crossing the lakes and being in the mountains was cold. You will need a fleece vest and windbreaker, really closed in shoes (with socks) a hat and scarf and some people had on gloves. Some of the gals (and men) ended up buying local sweaters and capes in Patagonia, which were pretty. A small backpack is good for your day trips, but we had no problem with our regular size carry on bags with the smaller planes of the in tour flights. Be ready to eat a lot of food. It seems as though we were stopping to eat often, but there is a lot of walking involved, so you can work it off...

Enjoy your trip and let us know if you require any additional details.

Pat & David Hatwell
  • My husband and I just returned from the Oct 2, 2011 Essence tour. We arranged a private tour to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar the first day which was really worthwhile...a stop at a winery, tour of Neruda's harbor home, a great lunch with a coastal view. Due to Tauck office, or perhaps just a misunderstanding, thought there would be a Santiago city tour the first day. Actually it was a trip to the Plaza de Armas and little else, no museums, etc. Other guests had taken a Santiago city tour on their free day and were very glad they did. We also went, via the metro (very clean and easily mastered) to the Pueblito Los Dominicos...one nice jewelry shop and the rest were eh!

After joining the tour we were strongly discouraged from using any of the other cities metro systems. Rio ended up being everyone's favorite city. Being in early spring, we were soundly soaked throughout the trip and esp. at both sides of the fantastic Iguazo Falls...it appeared most of the folks who had purchased those plastic ponchos at the hotel came through pretty well except for their feet...we had goretex lined shoes and were comfortable (and dry).

Zip-lining was interesting for a few hardy souls...my husband agreed with the guide...the hardest part was climbing up the high steps to get to the first of several levels.

Re: Carry-ons. Tauck allowed us to tag our carry-on's the night before and they were transported as regular luggage. I had one of those Tote fold-up bags and used just for the flights. All scanning was terrific! Just looking for metal...not liquids. Don't forget however, the day you return to the USA and go thru screening, you will be screening again for liquids and metals.

This is a VERY casual tour...no jewelry necessary...cheap travel watches...no jackets or skirts required, and in fact, save your jewelry $$$ for Rio!

Hope this info helps...
    Patty
  • Patty, This was very helpful...thank-you!
  • Owen Berg wrote:
    My husband and I just returned from the Oct 2, 2011 Essence tour. We arranged a private tour to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar the first day which was really worthwhile...a stop at a winery, tour of Neruda's harbor home, a great lunch with a coastal view. Due to Tauck office, or perhaps just a misunderstanding, thought there would be a Santiago city tour the first day. Actually it was a trip to the Plaza de Armas and little else, no museums, etc. Other guests had taken a Santiago city tour on their free day and were very glad they did. We also went, via the metro (very clean and easily mastered) to the Pueblito Los Dominicos...one nice jewelry shop and the rest were eh!

After joining the tour we were strongly discouraged from using any of the other cities metro systems. Rio ended up being everyone's favorite city. Being in early spring, we were soundly soaked throughout the trip and esp. at both sides of the fantastic Iguazo Falls...it appeared most of the folks who had purchased those plastic ponchos at the hotel came through pretty well except for their feet...we had goretex lined shoes and were comfortable (and dry).

Zip-lining was interesting for a few hardy souls...my husband agreed with the guide...the hardest part was climbing up the high steps to get to the first of several levels.

Re: Carry-ons. Tauck allowed us to tag our carry-on's the night before and they were transported as regular luggage. I had one of those Tote fold-up bags and used just for the flights. All scanning was terrific! Just looking for metal...not liquids. Don't forget however, the day you return to the USA and go thru screening, you will be screening again for liquids and metals.

This is a VERY casual tour...no jewelry necessary...cheap travel watches...no jackets or skirts required, and in fact, save your jewelry $$$ for Rio!

Hope this info helps...
    Patty
  • We are leaving on a Dec. 2012 "Essence of South America "Tour. I have been so interested in all the good advice I have seen in this forum. Now, on to shopping---any advice as to where and when (and what) good shopping is available along the way or in Rio?

Also, someone from an Oct. trip mentioned the cold in Patagonia---anyone know if we need to bundle up as much in December?

Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.