Southbound: Amsterdam/Brussels April 7-16th Free Time?

We are arriving a day early and will stay at the Stofitel Grand. If all goes well we would arrive at the hotel by 3 PM. Any ideas as to what to do after check-in. Most museums close by 5 PM and we don't want to miss this opportunity to see Amsterdam. Also, Tauck will escourt us, from the lobby, to the boat at 3 PM. Any suggestions as to what to do with our morning and early afternoon? Jim/Debbie from Florida

Comments

• Hi Jim,

Why don't you go for a walk? All around The Grand are canals … and the wonderful architecture lining them. If you are quick off the mark, you could get to the Oude Kerk, where Rembrandt's darling wife & model for many of his most famous paintings, is buried ….along with many of the good & the great of Amsterdam of the day. The grave makers form the floor of much of the church and are works of art themselves. Then you continue your stroll along the canals. It's a very interesting part of the city. Don't forget … you can take a tour of The Grand itself. The building holds a unique place in the history of the city and the stained glass, in particular, is just stunning. Just ask at reception.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Jim,

Three suggestions for your free day.

1. The Anne Frank House. I think you need to make an advance reservation but I think you can do so on line. I understand that lines are long without reservations.

2. The Van Gogh museum.

3. The red light district at night. Very different from anything you will see anywhere else. Prostitution is legal and unionized and the girls beckon from the windows.

Amsterdam is a lovely and interesting city. Enjoy!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file