Options

Melbourne Sightseeing--Can anyone who has done this trip tell us?

We have a day and a half in Melbourne pre-tour and even locals willing to take us places. But can anyone who has done the tour tell us what Tauck's included sightseeing omits or does too superficially? We don't want to overlap more than necessary. Do they do the Aquarium? The tower? Any museums?

Don & Kathi

Comments

• Options
    We just received our travel documents today and page 15 describes the tour in some detail. We're arriving a day early as well and will explore on our own.
  • Options
    Kathi M wrote:
    We have a day and a half in Melbourne pre-tour and even locals willing to take us places. But can anyone who has done the tour tell us what Tauck's included sightseeing omits or does too superficially? We don't want to overlap more than necessary. Do they do the Aquarium? The tower? Any museums?

Don & Kathi

Hi,

I did not see when your tour starts.
    We are traveling on the Dec 8 Aust and NZ tour and will arrive Dec 7. I received a detailed itinerary about 3 weeks ago. We live in the Phila. suburbs. I had the same questions because we will be meeting friends who live three hours away from Melbourne, and needed to plan around them--and thus needed specificity. Here are the answers that Tauck obtained for me from the guide.

Tauck's first tour is morning only. We enter Anzac memorial and botanical gardens. 45 mts to 1 hour each. Stop by other places for photo op-Fitzroy Gardens, Parliament House, St Patrick’s Cathedral. Get back to the hotel by 12:30pm. time untill 515pm before going out for dinner with the group at about 5:30. Dinner is close by at the moving Tram Car Trolley.

Based on information I gleaned from trip experts who post on trip advisor, I set up our itinerary for Melbourne free time. Here are my notes:

Arrival Day-after checking in and unpacking:

1. Tram (there is a charge for this tram, which is probably the term for a bus) to St. Kilda St Kilda is zone 1. Most economical ticket is a daily, zone 1.

Purchase metlink tickets on Swanston St - right next to Town Hall, betw Collins and Bourke Sts. #16 tram Or take the # 96 tram in Southbank (probably closer to our hotel. Will ask concierge). (approximately 20 minute tram ride).
    • Get off at first stop after tram turns into the Esplanade..
    • Sunset-see penguins/ beach St Kilda Acland Street & Breakwater-take photos without flash of the little penguins, hard to spot in dark. Cover flashlight with red cellophane .
    • Fabulous cake shoppes. I think this means pastry.
    • Return later in evening to Victoria Market-Wednesday nts only-Night Market/food, etc

There are Free City Circle Trams-just across Yarra River. And Free Tourist Shuttle that circles further out from the city itself. (don’t know how a shuttle differs from a tram)

12/8 - Day 1 –Thurs -until time to meet tour group for dinner visit Eureka Tower, Ian Potter Center,Flinders Street, and Victorian Block Arcade ***The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia – At Federation Square is the home of Australian art, with superb collections of Australian indigenous and non-indigenous art from the colonial period to the present day

During free time in Sydney there are some wonderful local opportunities. If you want to see my entire free time itinerary, e mail me. captaingail@yahoo.com. We will be there during a holiday period and some free events/fairs may not be the same at other times of the year.

What is the date of your tour?

Gail

This discussion has been closed.