Welcome to Tauck’s America's Canyonlands Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s America's Canyonlands Forum- Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• I'm looking forward to the America's Canyonlands trip on 5/20, and would love to hear from anyone else scheduled on that trip or who has previously had the experience.
  • Three years ago, my sister talked my husband and me into a family vacation. I said great - she said bus tour - I said NO WAY! Eventually I caved in and I am so glad I did. The trip was Canyonlands and what an incredible experience it was. Our tour director, Andy, was awesome. Visually, there is no way to describe it. To wake up that first morning and look out the window to see the rim of the Grand Canyon not 50 feet away was breathtaking. The time on the bus flew. Andy filled every minute with both factual information and local Indian lore. Our luggage magically appeared in our room every night and was wisked away in the morning. We were converts and will be taking our third Tauck tour in September - Yellowstone - An American Safari.
  • Thank you, Andrea. Your trip sounds like it was wonderful! This will be our first Tauck tour, having to overcome the "bus trip" issue also. I am really looking forward to the trip, and trying to determine just what I'll need to pack, especially for the higher elevations. Can you offer any suggestions?

• We went in August, so the weather was warm. The dress was very casual (jeans, T-shirts, shorts) except for the first and last night when it was something best described as casualcocktail.

Make sure you do the mule ride in Bryce Canyon, if you can (it was optional on our trip and we made reservations in advance). It was another NO WAY moment for me but one of the highlights of the trip once I was able to open my eyes.
  • I'm not sure if the mule ride is being offered, but I'll be sure to check it out.

Did you find major differences in the daytime/evening temperatures in any of the parks? I'm really trying to plan so that I don't overpack on this trip, as we are limited us to one suitcase per person. Did you find laundry facilities at any of the hotels?
  • Yes, the temperature was cooler first thing in the morning and then as the sun set, but it usually just meant pulling on a sweatshirt/sweater and changing to jeans from shorts. Again, we were there in August, but I think the info pack from Tauck had temperature ranges for all the places we stayed. I don't know about the laundry facilities and I truly don't know when you would find the time to do it. We used soft-sided duffle bag type luggage and it held a lot. We also each had a carry on for the bus where we kept hats, sweaters, etc.
  • Thanks for the helpful information. I have read all of the information that Tauck provided including the temperature ranges. I'll just pack a little bit of everything to be safe. I am truly looking forward to this trip.
  • Hi Judy. My husband and I are also going on this tour 5/20. We have been on many Tauck tours and have enjoyed them so much! I heard that this one is one of their signature tours and friends of mine who went on it, loved it!
  • Hi CherylAbb-- This will be our first trip of this kind, and we are really looking forward to it. It does sound amazing. I look forward to meeting you and your husband.
    Judy
  • Hi Judy,
    The flightseeing is amazing-truly one of the best things we've ever done (and I'm terrified of flying!) The Monument Valley add-on is worth every penny-do it if you get the chance! Have a great time:)
  • Thank you need2travel1 -- I actually booked the trip to Monument Valley last weekend after reading some of the older reviews on the website. My family was shocked as I'm not totally comfortable with flying, but the trip sounds too good to miss.

What time of year did you experience this tour?
  • edited April 2011
    I took the Monument Valley Tour last April and loved it. You could say I am a bit biased because I work for Tauck, but that has nothing to do with fact that Monument Valley is one of the most amazing spots on Earth, truly. One word: Majestic.
  • Do I need to book the flightseeing at Monument Valley before I leave? If so how do I do that? Do they still have the mule ride in Bryce Canyon?
  • This was my first Tauck Tour and it was amazing. I'm not just saying that because I work for Tauck. When you grow up in Connecticut, the National Parks seem pretty amazing.

I went on this trip in April and I definitely recommend plenty of layers that you can take on and off. With the elevation changes, the temperature can shift quite a bit, from snow at the top of the Grand Canyon rim, to 65 degrees at Lake Powell, and 80+ degrees in Las Vegas. You never know. Bring sweatshirts and long-sleeve shirts that you can layer, plus one or two light jackets that you can layer on top of that. One jacket for rain would be good too.

This is not a "dress-up" tour at all and is VERY casual. The only time people tend to dress up a bit was in Las Vegas.

Judy wrote:
    Thank you, Andrea. Your trip sounds like it was wonderful! This will be our first Tauck tour, having to overcome the "bus trip" issue also. I am really looking forward to the trip, and trying to determine just what I'll need to pack, especially for the higher elevations. Can you offer any suggestions?
  • CherylAbb wrote:
    Do I need to book the flightseeing at Monument Valley before I leave? If so how do I do that? Do they still have the mule ride in Bryce Canyon?

Yes, they still have the mule ride and you can book it once you get there, no need to do that in advance.

I am not sure about the Flightseeing and recommend you call our reservation center at 800-788-7885.
  • Hi Judy,
    We took this tour in July '08 w/ Andy as our guide-he was fantastic as was the whole tour in general but the flightseeing over Lake Powell & Monument Valley were stunning. You get so wrapped up in the scenery that you forget you are flying in a little plane. When we booked the trip we thought the Grand Canyon would be the best sight we would see but boy were we wrong-it just kept getting better & better as the week went on!
  • Hi my tour starts on August 8th. I am a bit confused, I thought the flight and rafting was included. Is it optional?
This discussion has been closed.