Options

Conversion of U.S. $$

Do we need to take the local currency for Argentina, Chile and Brazil? Or, do they readily accept US dollars?

Comments

• Options
    Dollars spend well, especially in Chile and Argentina. You definitely need local currency for taxis but a fair number of stores and vendors will take US dollars. In a pinch, there are also money exchanges or at hotels. I do need to tell you that, unless you are doing a lot of shopping, you may not need much cash. I took $250 with me and came home with a bit less than $200. Used credit card too. Have fun. This is a great trip.
  • Options
    Hi Wissner,

Generally speaking, when you travel, it's always a good idea to have some local currency with you, in case of emergencies. That said, past travelers (like OlySue) can probably give better information on the specifics of any given trip.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Options
    Thank you for the info.....are ATM's available at the various hotels for local currency?...I'm leaving in 10 days..excited and looking forward to a fun trip...MEH
  • Options
    Tim is absolutely correct - You do want some local money & how much will depend on what you are doing or buying. Cabs operate on local currency only so consider that if you think you'll be using that as transportation on your free days in the cities.

But there are also lots of opportunities to get your hands on local currency.

In Santiago there are a couple of cash machines very close to the hotel (within a 1/2 block), including one located in a police station. As it turned out, I got too many Chilean pesos & exchanged what I had left at a money exchange Barriloche so never needed visited a cash machine in Argentina. I don't remember that too many hotels had ATMs in the hotel but some hotel desks exchanged money and most had a nearby cash machine that hotel would direct you too.

There were lots of money exchanges around in the bigger towns or cities so you can convert money (including dollars) to local currencies.

Also, you are in four airports during the trip and each of them has a cash machine. In Brazil, I used credit card & never did need to get cash, but based on what you are doing on your free day, you may not be so lucky!

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did mine!
This discussion has been closed.