Options

Traveling Apr 2012

Anyone on the Apr 23, 2012 trip? Just wondering what kind of weather of expect.

Comments

• Options
    Hi, we will be joining you in Melborne for the April 23 departure. At the present time, we are expecting to encounter Fall weather; not really hot, and not too cool yet. The exception is expected in the interior at Alice Springs. That we anticipate to be hot, and buggy. There seem to be many reports of bugs and having to have netting around the head and hats to be comfortable. We already have this netting to go over our hats and heads and would recommend the same.
  • Options
    Thanks Randall & Donna. I'm very excited about this trip it will be my first time with Tauck and I have heard GREAT things about them. I will be traveling with my Dad, we are coming from different parts of the US and meeting up for our long flight over. Hope to make contact with others before the trip. We are planning on staying an extra day in Auckland at the end for some extra sightseeing.
  • Options
    Hi, we will be joining you in Melborne for the April 23 departure. At the present time, we are expecting to encounter Fall weather; not really hot, and not too cool yet. The exception is expected in the interior at Alice Springs. That we anticipate to be hot, and buggy. There seem to be many reports of bugs and having to have netting around the head and hats to be comfortable. We already have this netting to go over our hats and heads and would recommend the same.

I checked with Tauck. They say the tour guide will provide the netting if it is a problem. The phenomena does not occur always, only during certain times of year. However, I don't know which times. I have heard the problem may also exist in Milford Sound. Tauck should come through.
  • Options
    We are joining the April 23 Grand Australia and New Zealand Tour. This will be our 5th guided tour, but our first with Tauck. We are looking forward to meeting new "tour friends"! We are flying into Sydney early and then down to Tasmania before meeting the tour in Melbourne. Anyone else coming early? Chris and Don from California
  • Options
    Hi future AUS/NZ tour participants! I've just returned from NZ (Dec. 30-Jan. 10)--did only NZ--and it was a spectacular experience. It was my first trip with Tauck but will not be my last. A few items that might be helpful for you to know about the NZ trip (things I wish I had known before departing):

1. There is a good frequency of laundry facilities--about every four days. I had no idea how many times I would have access to these, and so I ended up overpacking. Take some 3-in-one laundry sheets with you.

2. We spent an extra day in Auckland before the tour started, and two extra days after. One day is needed to specifically explore downtown Auckland. We visited the National Museum for several hours. It had excellent galleries and exhibits, and in my opinion, it had a more impressive collection of Maori art and items than the Te Papa in Wellington.

After our Tauck trip to Waiheke Island, we got off the ferry and explored quaint and lovely Devonport for a few hours, returning to Auckland on the ferry on our own.

On a day after our tour ended, we went hiking on the magnificent Rangitoto, taking the 10:30a ferry over and the 3:30p ferry back. It was a mostly leisurely hike except for the very strenuous rise to the summit and crater edge. Magnificent and rare plants, and unrivaled vistas from the top--assuming you have a clear sunny day (which we did)! It rained/drizzled virtually every day we were in Auckland.

We spent our extra nights before and after at the Hilton, which is on the water and convenient to the ferries and downtown.

3. The meals during the tour are amazing, with excellent variety. I was worried about a predominance of lamb, but there were a lot of excellent choices.

4. The hotels are all first-rate and in wonderful locations. The charter flights are easy and comfortable.

5. My family and I enjoyed Queenstown immensely. The weather was sunny and warm, compared to the dampness of the North Island cities, and there's shopping, zip lining, horseback riding, etc. for your free time. If Tauck decides to not include the Kiwi and Bird House near the Bob's Peak Gondola (and I think they would be making a mistake if they do...) do not miss going there on your own.

Happy travels!
This discussion has been closed.