Attire aboard ship

Wondering how dressy dinnertime will be aboard the L'Austral on the Antarctica cruise? Has anyone taken this itinerary before and can offer any suggestions regarding anything we should know about this trip.
Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Hi Leemacp,

At the bottom of the tour itinerary page the Need to Know section is located; this contains information about what to wear, and many other topics, on any given tour.

I've reproduced the information on clothing here! Please note that this information is only current as of June 27th, 2011; at any point after that date, it's best to check the tour itinerary page rather than rely on the information posted here. Details may have changed.

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Tim

---

Please note that this is a casual tour. Comfortable and casual clothing is recommended while on board the ship and ashore. For daytime and evening wear, including the Captain's welcome aboard and farewell parties and dinners, casual dress is recommended. Slacks, sweaters, turtlenecks, etc. are suggested for both men and women. Appropriate footwear includes at least one or two pair of deck-type, rubber-soled shoes.

Air is a very good insulator. Therefore, if you trap air in several layers of clothing, you have a better chance of staying warm than if you wear one or two very heavy items. You will also be able to add or subtract layers more easily to remain comfortable at all times. Wool and silk are superior to cotton because they can trap warm air. Synthetic fabrics that spring back into shape after compression are also good. Polypropylene and Polar fleece gloves, turtlenecks and pants may be purchased from most outdoor outfitters or at a marine supply store.

We will provide you with a complimentary, special, water-repellent hooded parka that you will receive aboard ship. Although this will serve you well during the Antarctic expedition, you may want to bring along your own windbreaker for those areas where the temperatures are more moderate.

Pull-on rubber, unlined, waterproof knee-high boots (14" to 16") with strong rubber-ridged, nonskid soles are required. These specifications are VERY IMPORTANT. If you do not have boots, you will not be able to participate in shore excursions. You may be stepping into water up to 10" deep. Moon boots or leather boots are not appropriate. Shoe-liners are good insulators (in addition to wool or synthetic socks) and can be dried out easily since they are removable. Please be sure your boots fit properly with heavy socks on your feet. Your pants should fit over your boots to maximize dryness.

Expedition Gear: Tauck has partnered with New Headings, an experienced online provider of travel gear, to assist you in selecting the appropriate gear to keep warm and dry for this expedition. Their Tauck-exclusive website, polaroutfitter.com, may be accessed by clicking here. Please note that while Tauck has an affiliation with New Headings, you may wish to look into other outfitters for your expedition needs.

Valet laundry service is available on the cruise ship and at the Caesar Paark for a fee.There is no valet dry cleaning available on the cruise ship.

We recommend that you pack an adequate supply of your prescription medication in its original container to last through your entire journey, together with a copy of your doctor’s prescription or a letter from your health-care provider on office stationery explaining that the medication has been prescribed for you, a list of the generic names of your medication, your travel documents and a change of clothing in your carry-on bag to avoid any inconvenience in the event that your flight or luggage is delayed. No medications are sold on board the cruise ship other than those prescribed and stocked by the ship’s physician.

We recommend you also bring the following items:
    [*]Good quality, pull-on waterproof rain pants - VERY IMPORTANT for spray in the landing crafts and wet landings
    [*]Waterproof mittens or gloves
    [*]Warm socks - good material choices are silk, fleece, and polypropylene
    [*]Warm pants to be worn under the waterproof pants - for example, polypropylene, wool slacks, corduroys, jeans, sweatpants, thermal underwear, silk underwear, etc.
    [*]Sweatshirts, as well as silk turtlenecks, are good insulators
    [*]Hat, as well as a scarf, neck gaiter or other face protection (Some people bring earmuffs if they already have them, but these are not necessary)
    [*]Clothing made of comfortable, cotton, woolen, knit and permanent press fabrics that can be layered for warmth if necessary
    [*]Sun protection - sunscreen, sunglasses, lip protection. The glare from the water and surrounding snow and ice can be quite penetrating, even when the sky is overcast
    [*]One pair of comfortable, sturdy, nonskid, rubber-soled walking shoes for on board during the day and city sightseeing before or after the Antarctica cruise
    [*]Camera lenses, batteries, memory cards and/or plenty of film
    [*]A good pair of binoculars is strongly recommended
    [*]Backpack to carry extra clothing or camera gear during excursions; this item is extremely useful for ship to shore transfers
    [*]A pair of tennis shoes you won't mind getting wet for the possible hot-springs dip at Deception Island. Beach sandals are not sufficient and should not be used for this possible swim
    [*]A swimsuit for the possible hot-springs dip at Deception Island and pools in warmer climates
    [*]Notebook and pen
    [*]A personal medical kit with medication for possible upset stomach or motion sickness; aspirin and allergy medicine may also be useful
    [*]Electrical converter, with adapter plug set for the hotel in Argentina, the ship has both 220V and 110V
    [*]In your carry-on bag, pack any medication you might need during the trip and an extra pair of prescription glasses or contact lenses
    [*]Don't forget toiletries, address book, travel alarm clock, and a pocket calculator for converting foreign prices into U.S. dollar amounts
    [*]During the land portion, lightweight casual clothing is appropriate. For women, skirts, shorts or slacks with short-sleeve blouses are recommended; for men, shorts, slacks and polo-style shirts. It will be warm in Argentina.

--Note on edits--

Thanks, michel. I amended my earlier post accordingly.
  • We are getting ready for our first Antarctica adventure. I received information that is posted on this forum about the waterproof boots that are necessary and immediately ordered them for polaroutfitters as recommended. They told me that my price was $75 to rent with a $75 deposit. They would deliver to my home - I would pack them and then return them when I got home. Two pair weigh almost 10 pounds, which further limited my luggage. I recieved my travel documents last week and they gave me new retailer "ship-to-shore" who will charge $70 dollars for rent and 70 for deposit and deliver them to the ship in Argentina and pick them up at the end. What a relief. This should be the standard for Tauck. They are well known for customer service and convenience. Please Tauck folks - update your information. Fortunately I was able to cancel my first order and they credited my card. Miche
This discussion has been closed.