Clothing for Dinners

We were originally scheduled to be on an earlier tour but are now joining the one starting November 14. I've read some forum comments on clothing and althouth I know the days will be casual I was wondering about the dress for dinner, specifically should my husband plan on bringing a sports jacket or will nice pants, shirt and sweater work. We usually travel very light (carry-on only if possible) and would prefer not to have to pack a sports jacket. A good friend of mine has taken several Tauck tours and on most her husband did pack a sports jacket for the hotel dinners. Any input from those who are taking the tour/already back from the same tour or from Tauck directly would be appreciated.

Also, wondering if anyone from the NY/NJ area is scheduled to be on the November 14 tour.

Thanks.

Comments

• Maureen wrote:
    We were originally scheduled to be on an earlier tour but are now joining the one starting November 14. I've read some forum comments on clothing and althouth I know the days will be casual I was wondering about the dress for dinner, specifically should my husband plan on bringing a sports jacket or will nice pants, shirt and sweater work. We usually travel very light (carry-on only if possible) and would prefer not to have to pack a sports jacket. A good friend of mine has taken several Tauck tours and on most her husband did pack a sports jacket for the hotel dinners. Any input from those who are taking the tour/already back from the same tour or from Tauck directly would be appreciated.

Also, wondering if anyone from the NY/NJ area is scheduled to be on the November 14 tour.

Thanks.

I have been on two Tauck Tours and the only time anyone wore a jacket was at the opening and closing dinners AND then only about half or fewer wore jackets with the rest of us wearing nice long sleeve shirts and some wearing sweaters. I do not plan to take a jacket on the Australian tour this December.
  • We, too, are on the Nov 14 trip to AU & NZ and live in the Philadelphia suburbs.
    Picked up our travel documents from our travel agent yesterday and were delighted to read that NO jackets were needed! We're packing "suburban casual" with 22" carry-ons.

Regards

Kathi & Don
  • Thanks to all of you for your responses.

We look forward to meeting you, Kathi and Don, on the Nov 14 trip. It's nice to know we are not alone in traveling with carry-on. Most of our friends who travel don't believe it's possible. We've done it for several other long distance trips (China, Africa)and it always worked out fine.

Thanks again for getting back to me (I just now looked at my papers from Tauck and did see the note on no jacket; I guess I should read them all to see what else I missed).

See you in Australia!

Maureen & Jim
  • Kathi M wrote:
    We, too, are on the Nov 14 trip to AU & NZ and live in the Philadelphia suburbs.
    Picked up our travel documents from our travel agent yesterday and were delighted to read that NO jackets were needed! We're packing "suburban casual" with 22" carry-ons.

Regards

Kathi & Don

We're in the Philadelphia suburbs, too, and we're booked on the March trip...just beginning to get excited. The sports coat info definitely helps--what about shoes? Can my husband get away with nice casual shoes? Dress shoes can really weigh down a suitcase! Thanks--we're kind of new at this adventure travel stuff.
  • We are almost fully packed and ready to go. We arrive Melbourne Sunday 11-13 and have local acquaintances willing to takes us around Sunday afternoon and Monday before we all meet at the Langham. Each of us has one bag of about 26 pounds. Kathi will carry an over-sized handbag and Don a backpack for the laptop and sundry goodies. We'd like to do carry-on as far as possible, but we are concerned about occasional 15-pound limits. That doesn't sound right, does it? Anyway, no sports coat and, yes, (1) worn, one pair of everyday workhorse shoes and (2) packed, one pair of comfortable casual shoes fit for anything we can imagine on this kind of trip. Don't forget sunscreen, especially for the UV intensive areas in the Outback.

Regards, Kathi and Don
  • would love to hear more about packing - what do you pack in 2 carry ons? Would love to do it if I could............
This discussion has been closed.