Options

Age and the Inca/Peru/Bolivia tour's strenuous factor

Hello evryone- I do not mean to sound awful about this, but I am 64 and still active. I am wondering about those that took the Inca/Peru/Bolivia tour and stated that one had to be in "good shape" to endure the stenuous activity and challenges this tour encompasses. How old were these people? 64? 70? 75? etc.? Surely not everyone who goes on this tour is physically at their prime. I am now worried that my husband (same age as me) and I might find ourselves overwelmed with the activity required. Can someone provide a bit more information on the subject? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Got back from this trip the end of October. Most of us were in the 60’s to 70’s age range. The trip is paced well. It was evident that our tour director, Ronny, and local guide, Ally, planned the climbs at Ollantayatambo fortress and Machu Picchu well, ensuring a safe and successful climbing experience. No pressure and group members went as far as they felt comfortable, with at least half doing the whole climb. I brought my own collapsible walking sticks, which I found helpful. I was told by the tour director that the rubber tips were too pointy. He was able to get others to put on them. However, no official at Machu Picchu seemed to be checking that day. Note that the only bathrooms are when you enter, so plan accordingly.

I went on the optional tour of Sillustani on day ten of the tour. This should have been a relatively easy walk compared to the Sacred Valley. We went with just the local guide, who decided to take us on a “short cut” back down to the bus area. If I had to do it over again, I would have insisted on retracing the path we took up. It was harrowing at times for me, and others as well, as it was getting dark, it was very steep and narrow in sections and the path had loose stones. Incredulous yet hopeful, I kept thinking about the old joke, “have you read the book Over the Cliff by Hugo First.” Upon returning, I spoke with the tour director about this. After our discussion, it was my understanding that this was not the SOP (standard operating procedure).

Ask questions and express your concerns with your tour director, who will try to address them in an efficient and expedient manner. I felt that I was in good hands with Ronny. Remember, Tauck wants you to have a great experience and use them again when traveling ….so look forward to your trip and enjoy it!
This discussion has been closed.