Welcome to Tauck’s Iceland Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Iceland Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• Would love any info on what to expect, type of clothing needed, or any hints or clues on how to be prepared for this trip.
  • Hi Kathleenann,

Your cruise is quite casual, so you should dress for comfort and convenience with an adaptable wardrobe that allows for layering. The weather in midsummer in Iceland is fairly cool and temperate. You will need a light jacket or fleece, a light sweater and a rain poncho. And also, no special attire is required for dining.

Most importantly, bring comfortable and sturdy walking shoes that have already been broken-in. Your shoes should have good ankle support, as we visit some sites where pathways and stairs may be uneven and unpaved.

If there's anyone here who's taken this tour already, they would be a good person to ask for more specific information!

Best,
    Tim
  • I am wondering if the there is any diff in the weather in Aug between Norway/Iceland...I'm thinking nothing really heavy just layering like in Colorado? Rain? Snow?
  • What is the money situation? do they accept us dollars credit cards? or is it better to exchange monies before ?
    Buying gifts what would be the main item to look for
    thanks
  • Icelandic currency is NOT available to take ahead of time. The Hilton Hotel and airport have ATM machines to convert. Even the taxi cabs take
    Visa etc cards tho we walked to town from hotel and back. We used Visa etc for all purchases and dinners as we did go ahead and stayed extra day so enjoyed 2 restaurants in Reykiavek. You really do not need much Icelandic currency-we never did convert and were fine. Airport is now considered the second best in world for shops etc so we did find great purchases as we headed home. Iceland is a natural wonder of beauty.
  • In reply to gifts to purchase: the lava jewelry is lovely. We found nice pieces in area of Golden Ring near one of the magnificient Falls. Also the airport has some very nice shops where I found more lava pieces. Some of our friends purchased 66 Degree N jackets and gloves. We all bought our baseball caps with 66 0(degree)N. Felt products were
    very attractive and popular. Scandanavian wool products were plentiful. Beauty care products at the Blue Lagoon were popular too.
  • Hi, Where did you get caps with 66 degrees north on them? This sounds like it would be a neat souvenir.
  • bunnsie wrote:
    What is the money situation? do they accept us dollars credit cards? or is it better to exchange monies before ?
    Buying gifts what would be the main item to look for
    thanks

We are going to Iceland the 12th of July 2012. We got Icelantic money from Wells Fargo. Got is last week. Not much and they will take it back when we get home. Discover is not accepted much in Iceland so I have been told. Master Card, Visa and American Express will work.
    We would not like to have to get dressed up for dinner. Slacks and a colared shirt for my husband and slacks and a nice top for me. No jeans or shirts or tee shirts or ties. I hope that will work.

We are arriving on Friday morning and leaving on Sunday morning. We are coming in from Phila to Boston then Boston to Iceland.

Any information would be appreciated.

• Would this be a trip for a 12 year old to enjoy?
  • Cjebens wrote:
    Would this be a trip for a 12 year old to enjoy?

I just returned and there was a 14 year old with Tauck on board. I know that he spent some time with the naturalist attached to the Le Boreal. There were a few other young people on the ship also. If the 12 year old is interested in nature and science then he/she might enjoy it. Quite a bit of time was spent in areas watching various birds and different aspects of land (geysers, volcanoes, mud pots). I know that on the ship there was a WII system that some of the younger people were using at night.

I hope that this might answer the question. I have not been around 12 year olds in awhile so I am not sure what they are interested in.
  • It does. Thank you very much.
This discussion has been closed.