Options

Grand European Cruise vs. the 2 12-day cruises

Hi,

I am trying to weigh out the advantages / disadvantages of taking either the longer grand cruise or taking the 2 shorter cruises at different times. Other than that I would need to book flights twice rather than just once (if taking the grand cruise), from those who have done these cruises which would you recommend? The grand cruise sounds very nice but is also a bit long.

Also, I am very prone to motion sickness and have to travel with wristbands on ships. Is this cruise fairly smooth sailing?

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Comments

• Options
    We took the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise last September and as we were approaching Budapest wished we had booked the full journey to Bucharest. We totally loved our cruise so I'm sure which ever one you choose you'll have made a good decision. As for motion sickness except for watching the villages you pass on the rivers you'll not even realise you are on a boat. There is no boat movement you might experience on an ocean cruise. If you have any particular questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Rod.
  • Options
    OzJohnno,

Thanks so much for the reply. I understand how you felt about wishing you had booked the full-length cruise. I have a feeling that my wife and I would likely have that same reaction! Plus, I have a feeling that it probably turns out to be a bit more economical to do the grand cruise rather than divided into 2 separate trips. Thanks for the info about the motion. That's kind of what I would have expected - that there is relatively little motion - compared to going down the North Atlantic. I think we're probably leaning towards the grand cruise at this point.

Regards,
    Keith
  • Options
    OzJohnno:

Scheduled with Tauck Amsterdam to Bucharest - departing July 31 on the MS Treasurers. Were you on this river boat for your Amsterdam to Budapest journey? If so, would appreciate your impressions, etc. about the boat, crew, etc.

Thanks
  • Options
    Zlato wrote:
    OzJohnno:

Scheduled with Tauck Amsterdam to Bucharest - departing July 31 on the MS Treasurers. Were you on this river boat for your Amsterdam to Budapest journey? If so, would appreciate your impressions, etc. about the boat, crew, etc.

Thanks

We were and it was an amazing experience. It's the way Tauck approach river cruising that makes them the best. The Treasures is relatively new and you will be impressed by its decor and in particular the Scylla crew. By the time our departure date came around we found we had made many new friends not only with the passengers but also with the crew. They were the most professional bunch of people you will ever come across. One of the many highlights for us was that Tauck include 3 Tour Directors to work with the cruise director which means there is never a time that there isn't someone to help you both on and off the ship. We couldn't even put our hands in our own pockets for 50cents to use a toilet onshore as a TD was there with a role of coins to make sure we weren't out of pocket.

A lot of companies claim to be all-inclusive but Tauck truly is. Anytime you're thirsty there is always a free non-alcoholic drink at your beck and call. As I said in my review I believe, like Tina Turner, They are simply the best. If I sound like a Tauck salesperson I apologise but we really enjoyed our river cruise on M.S. Treasures.

That said as Tauck staff know unless they change their thieving, unethical Australian agent or allow us to book and pay direct with their head office we and a lot more Australians will never avail themselves of their services again.

If you have any specific questions that I may be able to help you with please drop me an email at rodmky@optusnet.com.au

You will have a great time on the rivers of Europe with Tauck.

Rod
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dear Rod,
    We regret to hear of your disappointment with the travel agent you used when booking. I encourage you to voice your specific concerns with Tauck's Guest Relations department, by writing to guestrelations@tauck.com or calling at 1-800-468-2825 extension 2125. We appreciate your candid feedback, and my colleagues in Guest Relations welcome your communication.
    Sincerely,
    Tim

I realise by what you wrote Timothy that you are not across my problem. After our cruise last September I wrote to your CEO and Mr Arthur Tauck not about my TA but the Travel Agent your company contracts to sell Tauck products in Australia - Travel the World. Your Director of Global Sales rang me in Australia to discuss my concerns. We spent quite a while on the subject of Travel the World and their thieving unethical ways. At the time she could not guarantee me, because of contractual obligations with TTW, that we Australians could book and pay direct with Tauck head office. I advised her that when it came time to take another holiday we would contact Tauck to see if we could book through them. That time will come next year and if we're required to use TTW then we will simply book a similar holiday, although we know it won't be as good, with another company. Once bitten by a charlatan twice shy.

My argument has NEVER been with Tauck only with the crooks they rely on in Australia to promote their product. A job they only do to their advantage not Taucks. I think Tauck would be surprised with the additional custom they would attract if they changed their agents down under.

Rod
  • Options
    Rod:

I have made several unsuccessful attempts to reach you by email as you suggested. I have sent additional questions to your email address, but the emails are returned indiciated unable to deliver.
  • Options
    Zlato wrote:
    Rod:

I have made several unsuccessful attempts to reach you by email as you suggested. I have sent additional questions to your email address, but the emails are returned indiciated unable to deliver.

Your email finally got through and a reply is on the way.

Rod
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    OzJohnno:

I have taken 14 trips with Tauck and have 2 booked for this September. All but the first 3 I booked directly with Tauck Head Office. I wised up that travel agents didn't pass along any back-to-back discounts applicable and that they billed you months before the required due date. And then there were the mishaps.

From Melbourne, I either ring the free international number for Australia listed on Tauck's brochures (yes, it really is free, the only issue is you have to watch the international time zones) or I email the Tauck reservations addy. After so many years and trips I usually get one of either two Tauck consultants. We're all old friends now. I charge my trips to my credit card and apart from the issue of FX conversion, Bob's your uncle. And with a CC, at least the conversion/commission issue is transparent, if not quite as my way as I would like. And these days.... the FX part is a real joy!! Yes, I might have to pay a CC fee, depending on your CC, but in exchange I get control of my reservation, a helpful "friend" at the other end who can tell me just about anything, I get the best price and I am not billed the final amount until 6 weeks prior to departure. I think there are slight variations depending on what you've booked.... I think when I did the Grand European from Amsterdam to Bucharest in 2010 the payment time might have been a little earlier. But still, much better than dealing with a travel agent.

I book my flights with my regular travel agent, but do the Tauck bookings myself. They have often offered to take over my bookings for me, to save me any trouble, but I have declined! I have never regretted my choice to go direct to Tauck. I did not even realise going direct was an issue, as you describe your experience. I just phoned up one day...or night, actually ... in 2006, I think it was, and have been happily emailing or phoning my bookings and queries through ever since. I have to credit the TD on my third trip when she did the usual Tauck spiel in the very last hours of the final day. She just said ... of course you can book directly from Australia. So I did from then on.

It never occurred to me to use a Sydney agent ... which is where I believe the Tauck general agent is located. In my naivety I reasoned ... why phone a Sydney go-between when I can phone the source for free! Over the years, I have heard a number of fellow Aussie travellers complain about the Sydney agent, actually.

I'm sure Tauck could actually "take over" an existing booking, too. That is what originally happened with me at trip 4. My local travel agent had bu****ed up my reservation. I was then stuck with flights to and from nowhere, so to speak and the travel agent kept saying chill. Humph. It was my money at stake so and I phoned Tauck direct and they fixed everything. Oh happy day!

Good Luck. Just phone or email.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.