Cell-phone service / internet connection

Hi All,

We are excited to join Tauck for the Sept. 27 Cuba: Connecting with People and Culture. One question, we are staying at the Melia Habana and are curious if there is a decent wifi signal at the hotel (you were able to make cell phone calls over wifi to the states). If not, were you able to use the hotel computers to send emails?

Any other suggestions for this trip?

Thanks!

Comments

• Since this is a very new tour and relatively few Tauck travelers actually use the forum you may not get an answer from someone who has been on the tour before.

There is some information on cell phones & wifi on the webpage for this trip under the Before You Go tab. Here are some specifics:

Re Cell Phones - "Generally, you will not have service for your U.S. cell phone in Cuba, and service for smart phones and PDAs is not available. If you really need to call home to the U.S., using your hotel phone would be a far more reliable, albeit not inexpensive, option. The average rate for a call from your hotel phone in Cuba is approximately $2.40 per minute. It is always a good idea to inquire about the rates you will be charged prior to making an international call from a hotel phone, wherever you may be traveling."

Re Internet - "Both hotels used on this itinerary provide Internet access. The Hyatt Regency Coral Gables provides complimentary wireless access in guest rooms and in the lobby. Internet usage at the Meliá Habana hotel in public areas and rooms is spotty and slow, and is not recommended."

If this isn't enough and no traveler responds, you may need to call Tauck directly and ask.
  • edited August 2016
    We went to Cuba in 2013 and had fairly decent wifi in the lobby of our hotel, the Parque Central. I would expect the Melia to be similar. We had to pay about 10CUC per day for wifi and it was good enough for sending emails and posting to Facebook, but we didn't try any voice calls with it. Verizon and Sprint now have international roaming in Cuba as of late 2015; not sure about other carriers. Hope this is helpful!
  • Hi All,

We are excited to join Tauck for the Sept. 27 Cuba: Connecting with People and Culture. One question, we are staying at the Melia Habana and are curious if there is a decent wifi signal at the hotel (you were able to make cell phone calls over wifi to the states). If not, were you able to use the hotel computers to send emails?

Any other suggestions for this trip?

Thanks!

Today is Sept 26, so you are probably already traveling. I just checked the hotel web site and they claim they are now offering free wi fi throughout the hotel and it has been upgraded. I don't care about internet so much but am curious about cell phone service.

• TBird02, we just returned a couple of weeks ago. Both Verizon and AT&T have pretty decent cell phone coverage now. Not sure about other carriers. We had mostly 3G coverage the length of the island.
  • I just called Verizon to see what we needed to do. I have an iPhone. I was told to 1. Go to Settings 2. Go to Phone 3. Set Wi-Fi Calling on 4. Select the Wi-Fi Calling option and 5. Turn on both "Wi-Fi Calling on this iPhone and Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming.