Options

Vatican Tour

We will be on this tour from Sept 18 - 25 and are extending our stay an extra day. Can anyone recommend a good Vatican tour that we can book in advance? Does Tauck offer such a tour?

Comments

• Options
    When you mention Tauck, I think you're asking if they will do an add-on for your tour. That isn't something Tauck does. Other Tauck tours, notably Classic Italy, include a Vatican tour and an after hours visit to the Vatican museum and Sistine chapel.

If you want to add on to your current tour, try viator.com (they are associated with Trip Advisor). They are a booking site for many tour companies with user reviews. Or contact the concierge at your Rome hotel.

That being said, it's pretty straightforward to visit the Vatican yourself. Just be sure to book entry to the always crowded Vatican Museums ahead of time (go to the Vatican Museum website). The museums include the Sistine Chapel. Get a good guidebook (like Rick Steves or the Eyewitness books from DK publishing) and you'll be all set. Rick Steve's app has audio tours of the Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica, as well.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Booking ahead of time is an understatement- book way ahead of time- months ahead for the Vatican Museums. The same goes for sites in Florence, if you can- some limit how early you can book!

Having done Classic Italy which visits both Rome (Vatican Museums (incl Sistine Chapel), etc.) and Florence (Galleria dell'Accademia, Uffizi Gallery, etc. etc.) I would extend your trip at both ends. If you can only extend at one end, I would go a few days early and see the sights it Florence. It is a wonderful, compact, walkable city, and it looks like your tour doesn't visit any sites there.
  • Options
    We are staying in the hotel in Rome for three extra nights and have booked two Viator tours.
    “Rome at Night”, a two hour coach and walking tour of the major sights all lit up at night, leaving at 8 pm.
    The other Viator tour is the one mentioned above, “Before Hours Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and Basillica Tour. It starts at 7:30 am, but if you want to avoid both the long lines and the crowds once inside, you may want to look at this.
    I also agree re Florence, we are there for three nights before the tour starts and will be booking the Uffizi way before we leave for Europe in August.
  • Options
    We enjoyed a Vatican tour of Saint Peter's tomb and the Necropolis under Saint Peter's Basilica. Also able to do a private tour of the Vatican Gardens. We booked this tour on the Vatican website.
  • Options
    We used Seven Hills Tour a few years ago. It was awesome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file