Options

worried about altitude sickness

My husband and I are scheduled to take the Empire of the Inca Trip June 22,2012 yet I am concerned about the altitude sickness. We just returned from the Canyonlands tour and when we were at the Grand Canyon I experienced some shortness of breath and tightness in my chest-it did go away after I acclimated to the altitude. My question is what precautions does Tauck take to minimize high altitude sickness? Do most people take diamox? I would appreciate any feedback.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    You can contact your Doctor and he/she can prescribe a medication for you to take pre trip and during the trip. Carol RN
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hello Babpell,

In regards to altitude sickness:

Oxygen on Buses and Trains
    The buses in Cusco and Puno have oxygen. In Lima, the buses do not have oxygen but in Cuzco the buses have oxygen in case of emergencies. Also, the train has oxygen in case of emergencies.

Oxygenated Rooms
    Only Hotel Monasterio offers oxygenated rooms. The remaining properties offer oxygen balloons (or Oxyshots) when guests require it. Oxygenated rooms are not necessary in all cases but recommendable when having problems with altitude. The Hotel Monasterio has a limited amount of oxygenated rooms. The oxygen unit is designed similar to an air conditioning or heating unit except that it pumps additional oxygen into the room.

High Altitude is a potential danger for some individuals. Much of this tour will be at elevations over 8,000’ and as high as 14,000’. We have designed the tour to gradually
    acclimate to the high altitudes, yet some individuals may experience altitude sickness. Please consult your physician if you have concerns about the altitudes on this trip.

As for medication, the best advice is to see your doctor.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    My worse case of altitude sickness was on our visit to Cusco, Peru. In addition to recommendations of fellow travelers on this forum to consult with your doctor prior to the trip, I would add refraining from all alcohol consumption, eat very lightly the day before and first day of trip, drink lots of water, drink the tea offered at the hotel upon arrival and just generally take it at a slow pace for the first day until you acclimate. Peru is a great place to visit. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
This discussion has been closed.