Gratuities

Gratuities for your tour director and bus driver are typically expected (and figured into the tour cost) for all Tauck land tours. On river cruises there are 2-3 TDs, a cruise director and multiple bus drivers so they've found its better to just include it in the price.

In my experience Tauck TDs and bus drivers do an awesome job. Only you can decide if you're getting value for dollar. Look at the nightly rate of the hotels you will stay at, the price for meals there (available on their websites), all the tours, admissions, and many other included items like not tipping the hotel staff, etc. What do they add up to? I'm sure there are cheaper ways to see the Canadian Rockies if you'd rather skip the luxury of a Tauck experience.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    River cruising and small ship,tours have gratuities added, but land tours have never had Tour Director and driver gratuities included. Your tour director on a land tour juggles many balls at once, ensures that every guest is taken care of, arranges local guides, makes sure your luggage is accounted for and departs and arrives with you, lets hotels and restaurants know of any special preferences, is an expert in local history and culture, confirms your return flights, arranges car service to the airport and makes things run smoothly, just to mention a few of his/her tasks. On the more exotic trips the tour director smoothes the air travel as well. The guests are not always aware of how hard the TD works to make sure the guests have the best experience possible! And then there is the driver who supervises your luggage, gets you safely from place to place, and keeps that coach spotless and supplied with water, etc.
    If I read correctly, your tour starts at $4300,to round up, and is an 8 day tour. I am not sure where you are getting the $10,000 price unless you are quoting the price for two. The current gratuity for tour directors is $10per day and $4 for driver for each traveler. That is $112 per guest, a small pittance for all of the hard work a tour director and driver do. I always feel fortunate that I am not being nickeled and dimed to death by tipping every bellman, waiter, local,guide, etc. that i would be doing if traveling on my own. And, for a great TD and driver, that is only a suggested gratuity. We usually use the suggested amount as a minimum guide.
  • Agree with Joyce and Claudia. Tauck makes it very clear whether gratuities are included or not. Our TDs and drivers have gone beyond our expectations and deserve more than what Tauck recommends. They are the ones who ensure we have a great experience and deserve to be compensated.
  • I concur with Claudia. From my experience Tauck TDs work hard (a lot of it behind the scenes) and earn their gratuities. As a rule they are exceptional. The TDs on land tours seem to be a step up from those on the cruises (IMHO), so perhaps the gratuity is a performance incentive. By not including the tip in the tour, it allows you to adjust the amount up, if you received exceptional service, and down if the TD caused a problem (never happened to me in 13 tours).

The tip exclusion was disclosed before you booked (if you read the information), so it not as if you didn't know beforehand.

Put another way, if you're willing to spend $10,000 plus airfare on a trip, should you really be that worried about $200 in tips? Would you really rather they just added it to the cost giving you no flexibility?
  • joycesw wrote:
    River cruising and small ship,tours have gratuities added, but land tours have never had Tour Director and driver gratuities included. Your tour director on a land tour juggles many balls at once, ensures that every guest is taken care of, arranges local guides, makes sure your luggage is accounted for and departs and arrives with you, lets hotels and restaurants know of any special preferences, is an expert in local history and culture, confirms your return flights, arranges car service to the airport and makes things run smoothly, just to mention a few of his/her tasks. On the more exotic trips the tour director smoothes the air travel as well. The guests are not always aware of how hard the TD works to make sure the guests have the best experience possible! And then there is the driver who supervises your luggage, gets you safely from place to place, and keeps that coach spotless and supplied with water, etc.
    If I read correctly, your tour starts at $4300,to round up, and is an 8 day tour. I am not sure where you are getting the $10,000 price unless you are quoting the price for two. The current gratuity for tour directors is $10per day and $4 for driver for each traveler. That is $112 per guest, a small pittance for all of the hard work a tour director and driver do. I always feel fortunate that I am not being nickeled and dimed to death by tipping every bellman, waiter, local,guide, etc. that i would be doing if traveling on my own. And, for a great TD and driver, that is only a suggested gratuity. We usually use the suggested amount as a minimum guide.

Good job detailing the workload Joyce. And that's a trip where nothing goes wrong. They really show there worth when the unexpected happens.

Land vs river cruise is a different dynamic. I've liked all the TDs we've had on both types of tours but the jobs are a bit different. The river cruise lot have to work as a team. On 1 cruise the TDs and CD were individually good but not a great team causing confusion at times.
  • jimkathyd1,
    I see you deleted your original post. I am wondering where you found the info from your latest post as tour directors work all sorts of different hours/tours. Our recent TD was working 3 tours and then returning to his home base. Our last TD was working our one week tour, doing a second one week tour and doing a two week tour, and I am not sure after that. I am wondering how you are rating those sorts of salaries. With that said, it doesn't matter. In my experience, on 17 international tours, the TD's have gone above and beyond our expectations, and the gratuities are just our way of saying thanks for a great trip. They should be paid well...they do a terrific job of making out trips above and beyond!
  • I’m guessing the $10K figure was a slight exaggeration for what the TD grosses considering all travelers on the tour. It’s pretty hard to deny that is a pretty hefty haul for 8 days of work (not withstanding any “salary”).

I would agree with others that the tips are certainly disclosed well in advance of the tour, so there is really no surprise. I believe someone also wrote something to the effect that this give you an opportunity to add-up or subtract down for how you believe the TD and/or the driver performed. That’s exactly what a tip is supposed to be…

…the issue I have with the “tour” industry in general is that in many instances (and I’m referring to the “tour” industry in general, and not any one specific company) is that the TD, the bus driver, and daily/local guides are all contractors, and not employees per se. Earlier this year, my wife and I took a tour with one of Tauck’s competitors, but I’ve made this observation with a number of organized tour companies we’ve used over the years. It’s my perception the tour company is contracting and being up front in what monetary amount they are suggesting their patrons “tip” to the contractor – but, the tour company isn’t paying much (if any) salary to that contractor. I don’t mind “tipping” for a job well done… but, on the other hand, I don’t expect my tip to be the biggest part of that contractor’s compensation package. And it’s my perception this is occurring all over this industry.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to stop utilizing organized tour companies… it’s just something that rubs me the wrong way.
    Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread...
  • The original post on this thread was about the poster spending $10,000 on a 7-day (really listed as 8-day) trip and then having to pony up for driver and tour director gratuities. Apparently this poster has been on trips (perhaps river cruises and small ships) where these gratuities were included. I think the point many of us were trying to make was that, in the grand scheme of things, $200+ for TD and driver gratuities on a land tour was well deserved and a pittance for the $10,000 the poster was claiming the trip cost (maybe the cost for a couple). A land tour differs from a river or small ship trip in this respect. I am not sure how the thread turned into tour director salary, which would be hard to determine as so many directors work different schedules and work loads. The beauty of touring with Tauck is that all of the other gratuities are included, and guests are not expected to tip hotel employees, servers, local guides, etc. I am not sure about how other tour companies operate as we have only traveled with Tauck...and, BTW, that is one of the major reasons we travel with Tauck!
  • I would like to say that I don't think Tauck does make it too clear about tipping. Look how many people fail to read all the info they are sent when they book a tour. The tipping information is actually quite complicated and unclear at times and hidden in the booklet that doesn't get read by all. Some tours, the tip is included for the driver, some tours it is not, especially those where you travel through different countries and have different drivers. I am also pretty sure, I think, that I have been on a couple of tours where the Tour director tip is included. I have only been on two ship based tours and that was the same tour taken twice and I know that is different, but I recall others.
    I can't tell you how many times people on tours have asked me when they are supposed to tip the tour director, how much to give and so on. And, I am still convinced that some people do not tip which I find so annoying. And it is often those who give the Tour director the Run around. Of course, I come from a culture that finds all this American tipping a load of nonsense, paying to help push someone's wage to a living wage. But I always play the game and pay up to these very hard working Directors who are the best in the industry.
    It's so funny seeing wealthy friends be the least generous tippers, but I guess that's why they are wealthy. One thing you learn when traveling to all these countries is that in some, tipping is an insult and some it is seen as bribery.
  • I believe tips are not requested/suggested for tours where there are multiple directors (e.g. a CD and 3 TD's on a river cruise, small ship cruising, the tour is a mix of land and small ship cruising (e.g. Peru & Galapagos, Treasures of the Aegean), and a few tours where there there might be a limited availability of currency (e.g. Cuba).

But, the policy is right there on the website in the first tab (Inclusive Prices) of the "Before You Go." Of all the "Before You Go" tabs, I would think this is the one everyone who is concerned at all about the cost of the trip, would read. The suggested amount is spelled out in the Green Book or with a quick call to Tauck.
  • Alan, the policy as you call it, yes, it is on the website and yet questions still come up about tips pretty frequently here. Don't forget about those people who book through travel agents and might never see the website, or they receive a brochure in the mail because a friend put their name down on the Hope and Trust survey. I don't even know if the brochure mentions tips in the section at the end with the small print because I never read it any more, my 'go to' is the website. People may walk into a travel agents, tell them where they would like to go and the agent shows them a Tauck trip.
    I even recently mentioned that my tour coming up next week, I got sent a green booklet for a last year itinerary which is completely different and on a new ship. And it's only recently the suggested tips have gone up from $8 to $10. In fact for drivers I always thought it was $5 but now someone just said it is $4. Where I grew up tips are strictly voluntary for exceptional service, so I am thinking British or Australian customers may not tip or give far less generously than Americans do. Whenever my father in law would visit us from Britain, after the first time he wanted to pay for dinner, we were so embarrassed at the measly tip we realized he gave for a party of six, that after that if he wanted to pay, we always insisted on giving the tip so we could give the usual 20%.
    Anyway, the original poster of this thread removed his first post pretty soon after people started to respond to him, so certain responses do not make sense. I did see it and it was quite a strong post. It has been an interesting thread.
  • This is from Before You Go for the Best of Canadian Rockies trip.

"Tauck Director Gratuities
    The customary gratuities for the Tauck Director and local drivers are not included. We ask that gratuities be extended on a voluntary, individual basis and not as a group."

Tauck is a first class organization and that is why many of us continue to travel over and over with them.
  • You said, " . . . we were told that Tauck was a first class operation with an All Inclusive trip." From our experience, the first part is true, but who told you Tauck offers "All Inclusive trips?" Was it a friend, travel agent, etc.? I'm pretty certain it wasn't a Tauck representative. First, just look at any itinerary, 3 meals a day are included in very few- not on land tours, not river or small ship cruises, etc. In fact, I don't know of one tour where all meals are provided. On some tours you are left on your own for one or two meals on any given day. That should tell you right off the bat that it isn't an "All Inclusive Tour."

Also, the first item in the "Before You Go" on the tour webpage is "Inclusive Prices" not All Inclusive Prices. The sub-tabs go on to specify what is included. Also, just do a Google search and you'll see the travel industry doesn't agree as to what actually qualifies as all inclusive- even among the basics- meals, booze, laundry, activities, and gratuities. Many years ago we went to 3 different Club Med resorts. Club Med is often referred to as the original "All Inclusive" resort (but no longer). Let me tell you, that was certainly up to interpretation, I don't think they would qualify under almost any criteria. The same for Sandals, Beaches, etc.

As to gratuities vs salary, without accurate specific insider-knowledge, I don't think anyone can do any sort of educated analysis. Besides, it is all relative and a lot of personal opinion. It would be like those who argue whether teachers or trash men are properly compensated. You'll never get two people to agree! I won't go there, either.

And, the bottom line, Tauck only suggests a gratuity and I'd wager the decision to do that was not made at a low corporate level, but most likely at the highest levels of the company. It was done because the clients asked for it. People shouldn't blame Tauck for their lack of knowledge about or inability to determine what is a fair amount of compensation. I do a lot of work around my house myself because I can and am cheap. I do everything from simple cosmetic repairs, to major renovations, complex wiring, plumbing, even appliance repair (I just fixed a heat pump), and I often find myself begrudging the amount I must pay someone else to do the same or similar jobs that I can't or do not want to do. So I am glad Tauck provides a "suggested" amount. I, like other Tauck travelers are under no obligation to follow the Tauck guidance, however.
  • I'm gonna go with jimkathyd1 as far as the tipping of "local drivers". I'm confused.

Our first 3 Tauck trips were all river cruises where tipping is covered.

When we took our first land tour I knew it was expected that the TD and bus driver would be tipped. But what about the ones who pick you up/drop you off at the airport? Are they the "local drivers" where tips are expected?

To add to my confusion, we ended our Ireland tour last Friday and the letter from the TD with our departure details included this line, "I have already taken care of the porters as well as your driver to the airport".

I get the case that tips can motivate good service, but I don't really think it's necessary. Knowing how customer service oriented Tauck is, I can't imagine they'd keep any employee who was getting multiple bad reviews. Maybe it's time for Tauck to truly become an all inclusive travel company. They already do lead the industry in their policy not to take kick-backs from vendors.

Happy 4th of July All!

• Claudia - you make good points, however, knowing tips are coming can motivate a TD to be just adequate vs. going above and beyond. Out of the 4 Tauck (land) trips I've been on, I'd classify one TD as superb, two were very good, and one did his job-no more, no less.
  • Jimkathy, thank you so much for being brave enough to keep in the loop and feel free to post your opinions because none of us have to agree on anything and that is fine. We are bringing up valuable different points of view here and it’s all annoymous.
    But can I ask you some questions
    Did you book the Canada tour?
    Did you book through a travel agent or directly with Tauck?
    Is it possible either you or the travel agent looked at the tipping suggestions for another tour and not the one you went on?
    Was this your one and only tour with Tauck?
    You are certainly not obliged to give tips if you do not want to. Indeed, as far as we know, giving a tip may have taken you over a budget you could not really afford to go over. Many people forget that not all Tauck customers have endless funds, I can particularly remember my first Africa tour that had two wonderful women teachers on it and they had saved up for years to go on this once in a lifetime trip. And wouldn’t you know this was the tour that happens to have a group of 4 telling us they were rich and moaning about everything!

We have taken somewhere in the region of over 30 tours with Tauck now and have 7 more booked taking us to the end of 2019. I will still maintain that the tipping suggestions are not easy to find and or consistent. I have always found them myself but clearly a good percentage of people do not find or know much in the way of how much, when to give the tour director and so on. Some people ask which currency to pay in. On a recent tour the tour director told us which currency each bus driver liked to be paid in, that must have been a land tour that did not include tips right there, so nothing is consistent. At the time, I was taken aback because in Europe it is very easy to exchange money compared to the rigmarole involved in getting foreign money in the US. We paid the drivers in the money denominations we had because there was no way we were going to find a bank just to get tip money. They receive so much money on these tours, they surely have to go to a bank pretty regularly.
    When I think of all the independent travel we have done, we know that doing the same tour with Tauck saves a lot of extra days in a place because we cannot do it as efficiently ourselves. Timing to being in the right place at the right time is sorted by Tauck. Taick stays in better hotels than we would have stayed.....though on this point we don’t necessarily need to be in a super fabulous hotel as long as the location is right, others moan about hotel quality. And now we are older it feels a little better not being totally independent. We have been to quite a few places already that we visit with Tauck and always say how much better it was with Tauck.
    Look forward to hearing some of your clarifications
  • Out of curiosity, I looked at another large, but lower priced tour company's tipping policy. They request that you tip the TDs and bus drivers AND THE LOCAL GUIDES! This from a company where I'm pretty sure that the TDs are getting kick backs, as well ("please exit through the gift shop"). One of the big advantages of Tauck is that you don't waste tour time going to places just so the TD can get a kickback.
  • Ken - on my last Tauck trip (China), I was surprised that we were taken to two rip-off gift shops. One was a silk shop in "chinatown" in Shanghai, and the other (a massive ripoff) was the Guilin Tea Company, where you could spend hundreds on tea sets that were way less elsewhere.
  • Out of curiosity, I looked at another large, but lower priced tour company's tipping policy. They request that you tip the TDs and bus drivers AND THE LOCAL GUIDES! This from a company where I'm pretty sure that the TDs are getting kick backs, as well ("please exit through the gift shop"). One of the big advantages of Tauck is that you don't waste tour time going to places just so the TD can get a kickback.

I've taken tours from upper tier tour companies which recommend you tip the TD, bus drivers and local guides. I really don't find that so much different than just tipping the TD and driver. And those tour companies did not take travelers to, or recommend specific kick-back shops. I think if you stick with an upper tier company (and there are a good number of those), you aren't going to experience those types of shake-downs (but, there are PLENTY of tour companies at the mid and lower tier ranges which do participate in this practice). Personally, I enjoy taking tours from various tour providers, as I enjoy the differing styles of delivering service to their customers. You come to appreciate the strengths and styles of the various providers. What I find interesting in visiting some of the various providers web pages and unaffiliated travel forums is the level of devotion of some patrons to their preferred tour company. It's almost to the point of kool-aid drinking in believing provider "X" is so much better than the rest.

I do agree with jimkathyd1 in that I would much prefer to stick to tours in which EVERY tip is included and all inclusive means all inclusive. Post tour questionaires would weed-out those contractors which do not meet their standard. If I'm extra-impressed with the service of an employee, I'll go to the trouble of putting a little extra directly in their hand - but, that would be totally up to me to do so (and I've done that on top of the recommended tips - I think it's good to reward those who really do go the extra mile).

• I believe the popularity of cruising has changed the world of travel dramatically, and altered the expectations of what people expect from a travel experience as well as the costs incurred. It is an easy way to travel and still see other countries, although, I would question the quality of a cultural experience. I believe travel companies have tried to stay competitive by offering river and small ship cruises. From my experience, land tours have been static, and I for one am grateful for that. Much of this thread has covered the differences in costs of these experiences. I do not think they can easily be compared. As a die-hard land tour traveler, I do not want to have every meal included. I want to try local restaurants upon occasion. A land tour is not all inclusive, and I do not believe that is stated anywhere that it is. I for one would be very unhappy if I did not have some freedom on a tour, and that includes sightseeing and eating. Again, it is a deferent kind of travel,that might not appeal to everyone, but it is the job of the traveler to determine what type of travel best suits his/ her expectations.
  • edited July 2018
    Jimkathy, you are obviously Cruise type people, I am not, never been on one. The nearest would be the two Galapagos cruises I have taken with Tauck and that is all just Tauck customers and the boat only has twenty cabins.
    I am about to take the Tauck Iceland cruise and am nervous since it's a lot of people, I also have my first River Cruise with Tauck next year.
    i think we may have taken one almost all inclusive type trip in the Caribbean, we used to go to the Caribbean for a week in the winter. Generally we felt the abundance of alcohol was something we did not want and being of British heritage where many people go on vacation to literally drink themselves stupid was never appealing to us.
    But getting back to Tauck.....each of their tours is specific about what is included, so I guess you were surprised to find that your particular tour was not All Inclusive like the River and Small Ship Cruises.
    I have seen Tauck change over the years because of customer demand...in. The past it was more common for Tauck to stay in a place for three nights and have almost all meals included, but they changed, not because they wanted to artificially keep the price lower, but because the type of traveler that Tauck appears to attract wanted to see more and wanted to be able to dine out independently. Restaurants and food appear to be top priority it appears from this forum. We don't eat out much because we like to control our salt intake, enjoy cooking at home, and at home I stick to fresh fruit for dessert while when out I will have a naughty dessert. I would rather save our money to go on tours. I do enjoy eating different foods in other countries, don't get me wrong and I have eaten at some of the most famous restaurants on the planet and really enjoy it, but on tours l would forego a long meal for a cultural attraction instead, almost always. Tauck tours give huge amounts of food opportunities so on the free days or meals, we often just need to find a quick snack.
    I am more like Joyce I think, in fact, I would prefer a little less free time because when that occurs we are a little inclined to linger a little longer in bed than we can with Tauck and maybe do not take full opportunity to utilize a day to its full potential. We do however, generally arrive at a destination a couple of days early to see more of the Starting city.
    The other thing I would like to address is the 'Exit through the Gift Shop' point. On many Tauck tours, especially the more remote and exotic ones, it is very common for the bus to stop at a big touristy place because that might be the only place to find decent clean Western type toilets and of course there is a gift shop and quite a lot of Tauck clients like a quick opportunity to buy a few gifts or get a coffee. There are no kick backs, little time is spent there and no one is forced to buy. In some countries it is law or mandatory that the bus driver MUST take a break after a certain number of hours and for a certain length of time, so that is also why these stops happen in the tourist places, the bus drivers often meet up with their driver friends and it's a good break for them.
    I like that Tauck gives little time for shopping, don't get me wrong, I like to buy things, but Mr B is strict about time devoted to shopping and he is totally correct, we come to see sites not buy stuff. And anyway, for example, in Costa Rica, those stops I have found the best choice of wooden jewelry I like, and in Vietnam, that huge stop area where you can even buy massive marble statues had better quality looking lacquerware etc than some of the towns, if that is what you like.
    Getting back to jimkathy, if your only beef with Tauck is having to pay up on tips, just don't give any, it's not compulsory and I am convinced you would not be the only ones who don't give a tip.
  • jimkathyd1 wrote:
    THERE IS NO BEEF.

For like the 5th time what I am saying is after paying all of these THOUSANDS of dollars why hand out envelops for a couple hundred more. It's not the money. People sign on to do a job for a salary. We all did it. The last time you got off an aircraft did you hand the flight attendant and pilot an envelope with cash???????

It appears to be Tauck's policy and maybe it is the norm for land based travel. In our Green Tauck Booklet for our Australia/New Zealand Trip it said: "Although gratuities represent the majority of your Tauck Director's compensation, our policy prohibits Tauck Directors from directly soliciting gratuities."

In Tauck's case some TDs sign on for a salary and gratuities. Until Tauck changes it's TD compensation policy, it's up to each person to make a decision on whether to tip or not, and how much.
  • edited July 2018
    Come on folks, it is what it is! Deal with it or don't!

Let's get back to talking about what to do when we arrive early, what excursion options to select, best flights, heck even which electrical adapter to take or the advisability of older people getting Yellow Fever vaccine. To debate something which we have absolutely no control over other than a personal decision to tip or not to tip, doesn't add to the enjoyment of travel for the group at large. If anyone has suggestions about tipping, send them to Tauck who will take action or not.
  • jimkathyd1 wrote:
    THERE IS NO BEEF.

For like the 5th time what I am saying is after paying all of these THOUSANDS of dollars why hand out envelops for a couple hundred more. It's not the money. People sign on to do a job for a salary. We all did it. The last time you got off an aircraft did you hand the flight attendant and pilot an envelope with cash???????

If you are an American, you should know that tipping is part of your culture. It’s not the culture of the country I grew up in, but as an American now, I try to act like one as much as I can, so I give out tips to tour directors who have always been exceptional people towards me and very caring and gone over and above the job description. Some clients behave so badly I just don’t know how the tour director keeps their cool, but they do. Did you know the tour directors make notes about us all at the end of a tour for future reference?
  • edited July 2018
    jimkathyd1 wrote:

OK, Jim or Kathy, I get it. You would rather that the tours be all inclusive. Well, they're not. Just like waiters do not take a job expecting that the pittance they get paid will be their only compensation. Do you stiff waiters at restaurants? Probably not. Just like waiters, TDs expect that tips will be a part of their compensation. Yes, there are all inclusive resorts and cruises, but from all that's been reported here, that's not the way the tour industry works. Just like that's not how the restaurant industry works.

My son is a bartender on the Strip. People in that line do not "sign on for a salary." Just like with TDs, tips represent the majority of their income. They take the job based on a substantial expectation of tip income.

Since you're obviously new to Tauck land tours, here's the way the tipping works. While people usually use envelopes, none are "handed out." People either get one from the hotel or bring their own. The TD will usually let you know when the last time you'll see the driver is. They'll usually say something like, "When Elvis drops us off at the hotel tomorrow, that's the last time we'll see him. So if you want to express your appreciation, that would be the time to do it." This is just to give a heads up and tips are never explicitly solicited. As far as the TD goes, there is never even a suggestion on tour about tips. TDs are prohibited from soliciting tips. The tips for the TDs are given whenever the customer feels appropriate. Typically, this is at the final dinner when handing in "Hope and Trust" comment cards. It is done discretely and on a personal basis.

By the way, just so you're not suprised, alcholic beverages are not included at most meals (except the welcome and farewell dinners). You'll be paying for those separately. Tip appropriately for the country you're in.

• AshvEd wrote:
    In our Green Tauck Booklet for our Australia/New Zealand Trip it said: "Although gratuities represent the majority of your Tauck Director's compensation, our policy prohibits Tauck Directors from directly soliciting gratuities."

This is what I alluded to earlier in this discussion. My wife and I recently took a small ship tour in Europe with one of Tauck's competitors. The TD openly admitted he was a contractor and not a direct employee of the tour company. Just like Tauck, that company recommended a daily "tip" per passenger for the TD (amongst other guides/drivers we would utilize) and although it wasn't stated, it was clearly understood his "tip" was largely going to be his compensation for the tour. IMHO, this is what is totally wrong with this industry. If I hire a general contractor to remodel my home, I don't expect to be "tipping" his sub-contractors (the plumbers, electricians, etc) to fairly compensate them for their work. Pay people fairly, and let's be done with it. Make all inclusive, all inclusive.

And despite what another poster commented, I think it's perfectly fine to whine and gripe about this in this forum. Businesses need to know how their customer base feels, and adapt appropriately. As we have seen recently with Toys R Us as the most recent big-box brick and mortar establishment which did not adapt to the marketplace... businesses which don't adapt are destined to fail (despite previous successes).
  • edited July 2018
    Okay, Alan, i’m departing from the gratuities and continuing on to a point made by Ken, and that is the matter of alcoholic beverages on land tours. It appears that there is a shift in that thought as well.
    To clarify my personal perspective, we Californians ( hubby and I) like our wine, maybe at the end of the day and usually at dinner. When we first traveled with Tauck in 2000, alcohol was available as Ken states, at the welcome and farewell dinners, and that was in Italy! Since that time we have seen a gradual change in how alcohol is handled. I know TD’s have some discretionary funds, and I think that was often used to include alcohol at special occasions...our TD in Australia/NZ called us a “champagne group” and it was poured on the private flights ( in reality most of us liked beer and wine too!). Since then we have seen a few tours where wine/ alcohol is available more often. Our Paradors of Northern Spain was an eye-opener as there was wine on the table at pretty much each included lunch and many dinners, as I recall...we racked it up to a cultural difference, not that we refused the great wines they were pouring! On our latest tour, England, Scotland, Wales, we were shocked ( but not disappointed) to note the number of times wine was included! And then there was that whiskey tasting dinner and the Welsh food experience. Our TD ( one of the very best we have had) called it the Betty Ford tour!
    But, as Ken reminds us, keep your expectations in check. I just think it is interesting how the focus and expectations of so many aspects in travel have changed over the last 18 years.
    And, to respectfully contradict the previous poster, I am very happy to tip a tour director and driver for a job well done. I guess we Americans go overboard in the tipping department, but that, too, is part of our culture! While there are some forward-thinking restaurants trying to change that paradigm, I don’t see it catching on easily.
    This thread has given me the opportunity to do some reflection on my own travel expectations...I have realized that one of the first things I research when I travel internationally is the “tipping protocol” for that country....20%, 10%. round-up, leave cash, etc., etc. .??? Taxi drivers? Servers? A local guide if I am doing a pre or post tour? It is rocky path, so I appreciate it when I get some clear direction!
  • JnCPerkins wrote:
    This is what I alluded to earlier in this discussion. My wife and I recently took a small ship tour in Europe with one of Tauck's competitors. The TD openly admitted he was a contractor and not a direct employee of the tour company. Just like Tauck, that company recommended a daily "tip" per passenger for the TD (amongst other guides/drivers we would utilize) and although it wasn't stated, it was clearly understood his "tip" was largely going to be his compensation for the tour. IMHO, this is what is totally wrong with this industry. If I hire a general contractor to remodel my home, I don't expect to be "tipping" his sub-contractors (the plumbers, electricians, etc) to fairly compensate them for their work. Pay people fairly, and let's be done with it. Make all inclusive, all inclusive.

And despite what another poster commented, I think it's perfectly fine to whine and gripe about this in this forum. Businesses need to know how their customer base feels, and adapt appropriately. As we have seen recently with Toys R Us as the most recent big-box brick and mortar establishment which did not adapt to the marketplace... businesses which don't adapt are destined to fail (despite previous successes).

YOU ARE RIGHT ON
  • edited July 2018
    JnCPerkins wrote:
    Yes, but, Tauck will not likely learn about it here! These forums are not monitored on a regular basis. There is sporadic monitoring by IT folks checking for spammers, not by what members of various other forums call "moderators." There are no Tauck or volunteer "moderators" here. Just go through any of the forums and you'll see 99% of questions directed and what people think are moderators never get a response. That is why I suggested writing (you could also send an email). Hopefully you put thoughtful and helpful suggestions in your post-tour critique. Every one of those is read, and Tauck management will often respond. Arthur Tauck himself continues to read critiques.
  • AlanS wrote:
    Yes, but, Tauck will not likely learn about it here! These forums are not not monitored on a regular basis. There is sporadic monitoring by IT folks checking for spammers, not by what members of various other forums call "moderators." There are no Tauck or volunteer "moderators" here. Just go through any of the forums and you'll see 99% of questions directed and what people think are moderators never get a response. That is why I suggested writing (you could also send an email). Hopefully you put thoughtful and helpful suggestions in your post-tour critique. Every one of those is read, and Tauck management will often respond. Arthur Tauck himself continues to read critiques.

Alan, I'm going to disagree with PART of what you've written here. Although there is no active moderation by Tauck personnel here... I think it would be extremely short-sighted to believe there aren't Tauck people looking at what is going on at their own web-site. They may not get involved in the discussions, but I would bet they are reading PLENTY.

In this competitive marketplace, I would wager to say Tauck personnel are reading what is being written on their competitors web-sites; what is being written on independent travel and tourism web-based forums, as well as looking closely at what their competitors are doing. How embarrassing might it be to miss the boat on a traveling trend, and then learn people have been posting about it on your own web-space. I can't see Tauck being that foolish...

I'm betting Tauck is indeed reading what is being written here.
  • edited July 2018
    Another interesting comment...I would tend to agree with Alan's assessment of Tauck's attention to this forum, however, my own experience makes me feel differently. After our Japan trip (Land of the Rising Sun) last year I wrote a three page letter to Tauck outlining my concerns (great trip but I was very displeased with some of the organizational aspects of the trip). I then posted a review on this forum, and within a few hours I had a call, at my home, from the Director of Small Ship Cruising and we had a 45 minute conversation about the trip as a result of my forum post! It was a very positive conversation, and I sensed that he really listened to my concerns and wanted to rectify some of the issues that I felt were problematic. Sooooo....from my experience, Big Brother is indeed listening!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file