Travel Health Questions

What advice do past travelers on the Peru/Galapagos Tour have for traveler health issues?

Did you do anything in the way of immunizations/vaccines just for this trip? The CDC website information seems to indicate that Hepatitis A and B are recommended.

My routine immunizations are or will be current before I go.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi PeteB,

Some countries are more picky than others about what shots you need to have had to get back home again. ;) The usual things, as you say, are good to keep up with. When I went to the Galapagos a few years ago, my doctor filled me up with Hep A & B, Polio, Tetanus and some other "cocktail" of typhoid, cholera, etc., and most importantly for returning to Australia, Yellow Fever. Needless to say, I only stubbed my toe. Poor little digit! Check with your own medico about any altitude medication that might be necessary, too. Oh, and the travelling medicine chest/first aid bag/brain surgery kit that keen travellers usually have with them!

Have a wonderful time!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hi, took the Galapagos part of the trip a couple of years ago. One of my best ever trips. Health--take the appropriate Malaria meds, Malaria can kill you, don't risk it. Take all other recommended vaccines from CDC site and be up to date with boosters.The Dr, often comes along on the more difficult walks. They offer alternate less difficult walks on some of the excursions. Shoes--the crew dry your shoes at the back of the boat when you get back from a wet landing, they dry quickly there. When the guide says take enclosed shoes for the walk, do what they say. There are sharp volcanic rocks on some islands. This is a wonderful but active trip, you are woken at 6am every morning. Time to relax in the middle of the day. Books and history of Galapagos--I became enchanted by the various first Europeans to live there, you will find out about them by the guides-if you are interested, buy the books about these people at the stalls near the airport, they are difficult to find back in the US and expensive, great reading! No need to bring any fancy clothes for the trip, most go straight to dinner in the day clothes. The crew are wonderful, there are no keys to your cabin doors, don't worry about that. The crew keep your room very clean and tidy too, if you leave something on the bed it will be nicely folded next time you get back to your room.
  • Thanks for the great info.

Specifically, has any one had to have a yellow fever vaccination certificate to enter Ecuador from Peru? This seems to be a very "squishy" question on all the websites (CDC, etc.).

Thanks.
  • edited May 2012
    When I went to Ecuador in 2008, I don't recall being asked for my Yellow Fever certificate. Then, I don't think US citizens were required to have any shots at all to enter Ecuador. However, I needed it for re-entry into Australia and as an Australian I was very keen to be let back in again! When I arrived back home in Melbourne, Immigration asked me ..."Have you been in South America in the last 6 days?" "No," I replied. (It had been about 7 days. Phew!) "But here's my Yellow Fever certificate." She wasn't interested. "You mean I had that shot for nothing?" I asked in a mock-affronted tone. The Immigration official just grinned at me. It's always good to be back home where everyone speaks the same laugh language. :))

It's not the getting in that can count, but the getting back home. So check your own country's requirements. I think that's why things looks "squishy" on the travel health sites.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.