Options

WiFi

To someone who has done this trip:

Am going on this trip next year. How easy is getting Wifi in the various hotels? Is it worth it?
Can you get a phone plan for IPhone?
We need to be able to stay in contact with family and be reachable. I find IPhone more convenient that leaving local numbers.
Are there 120v electricity for charging?

Comments

• Options
    We came back from this trip about a month ago. It was easy to get free WIfi in two of the hotels. If not in the hotel, there are many free Wifi places near the hotels. If you decide to purchase Wifi in the hotel, I'm sure that you TD will tell you the cost of this service. We did not do this. You can get an international plan for the iPhone. I got mine through AT&T. I would suggest you contact your provider. All of my cables are for 100-240v, so I only needed an adaptor; if yours are not like this, then you will need a converter plus an adaptor.
  • Options
    If you have wifi access for either an iPhone or an iPad or similar, you can use Skype to phone for a minimal charge. I recently used my iPad to "call" my opthalmologist's office and make an appointment from my hotel room in Mexico using Skype to phone. They thought I was on the phone and had no idea I was out of the country.

I have not tried FaceTime internationally, but I would think that would work on a wifi connection. Both of these approaches would be infinitely less expensive than using AT&T's international service.

If someone wants to reach you, they could email and ask for a Skype call back. A five minute call from Mexico to Ohio cost about 35 cents.
This discussion has been closed.