Essence Of Japan: have any dates for this tour been cancelled?

We are booked on the Essence Of Japan in early November, 2020. Have any of the 2020 dates for this tour been cancelled due to Covid-19?

Comments

• All of them since April. I was scheduled in April. Rescheduled for October. I expect to reschedule again.

• BKMD: Thanks for responding! I wish they would make a decision on these tours. I too expect that all of the Japan tours will be cancelled. I just wish they would do it, so we can get our money back on our airfare.

• Many cruises, have you checked that your flights have not already been cancelled yet? If they have, at least you can get the money back now. From what we read here, sounds as if Tauck has caught up to the end of September on cancellations and further ahead on others, so you should not have long to wait now.

• British - I called Tauck yesterday morning and was told no decision on my Sept tour that starts at the beginning of the month. A decision possibly came after my call to them, but I haven't heard for sure that all Sept tours have been cancelled. The rep told me we should know for sure by the middle of next week. I'm a bit impatient so maybe I'll call them again??? Not sure yet if I will.

• Speaking of cancellations and getting money back- I look at this a different way- while the situation is annoying, and I hate to see my money idle, there is nothing much else I had planned to do with it besides spending it on a tour and airfare. I don't think we are at the point of losing it due to Tauck or airline insolvency, so my only concern is when will I be able to go on the tour again.

It is something to talk about since we aren't traveling and talking about people, places, and things we've seen or hope to see. For those who may be wondering, I'm not ready to start competitions for the most cancellations. That is too dependent on the number of tours you book (and depths of your pockets) Neither am I planning one for the most re-bookings of the same tour. That is either a sign of real determination ("I wanna go where I wanna go, however long it takes!"), being an eternal optimist, or reveals a desire for self-punishment. Unfortunately, I guess some have already or are about to reach same-tour cancellation #2 :'(:D:D:D

Factoid- I was talking to a Tauck rep yesterday- as an aside, I asked why the reservation number for our Jordan and Egypt tour started with "EPS" , which I assume is for "Egypt, Petra, Small group, instead of EJS. She said, "Because EJS was already being used for Essence of Japan, Small group." You can file this under totally irrelevant, not so interesting, who cares, Tauck factoids. :D

• Alan, how many times do you call Tauck? I think I must be way under using them, say once to book a tour and once to check our final payment went through.
    I’m not convinced the two tours that have been canceled on us would necessarily be priority when I start booking tours again. How do others feel about the tours that they have had canceled?

• edited June 2020

British
    12:22PM
    Alan, how many times do you call Tauck? I think I must be way under using them, say once to book a tour and once to check our final payment went through.
    I’m not convinced the two tours that have been canceled on us would necessarily be priority when I start booking tours again. How do others feel about the tours that they have had canceled?

I only call when I need info for planning. This time I called to find out what time the boat actually docks in Piraeus at the end of Treasures of the Aegean (the website itinerary only says "Disembark Wind Star for an 8:15 AM transfer") and ask if Tauck will transport our bags to the post-stay hotel in Athens if we don't ride along. I'm trying to plan a full day trip to Delphi and we could get an earlier start if we leave immediately from Piraeus after departing the ship. It is a long drive to Delphi and our departure could likely be delayed by 1 1/2 hr or more, especially if the traffic is bad- it will be a Saturday, if we must ride the transfer to Athens and check in at the Grande Bretagne, or even just leave our bags with the concierge, before we can head off. The Tauck agent said no to a bags-only transfer. My fallback will be to ensure our Delphi tour vehicle can carry our bags or better yet, work with our TD about a bag-only transfer. I don't see the problem if others on the tour have also booked a post-stay and will be transferring to the same hotel.

Since time marches on we've been pretty careful picking tours. Especially now- I'm sitting here, two days after my second epidural steroid injection and my back does not feel how I want it or hoped it would feel. :'(

• British: Our flights are not showing as cancelled yet. They have only cancelled flights through August 31. I guess I'll just have to wait but I am running out of patience. Hopefully, Tauck will contact us soon!

• Many cruises, I know what you mean. It was such a relief when we got our call and I felt we could put that tour behind us and move on. I feel relieved also that our next scheduled tour is not until April 2021. Here in the NE it’s going to seem like a long long winter. I’m just hoping we don’t get any snow like last year. If I can manage to have lots of projects to keep me busy as I have these past three months, that will also help me. As long as we stay healthy, that’s what is important I guess.

• Just found out that the Scandinavia land tour for September I was booked on has been canceled, I don't think it's official yet, Tauck told my travel agent when she called in regards to something else.

• Thanks for posting this. It would be great for those of us that are waiting to hear about the status of our trips, if others posted their cancellation trips/dates too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file