Boston sightseeing on Classic New England tour

My husband and I are traveling on the Classic New England tour starting 9/29/12 followed by the Cape Cod Tour starting on 10/6/12. We will have 3 1/2 days on our own in Boston before we start the tours and 2 days on our own at the end. We are going to a Red Sox game the evening of our first full free day. Want to check out other sights but don't want to conflict with what we will see/do on the tour. Would like to walk the Freedom Trail and visit the historic sites along the way. According to Tauck itinerary, we view Faneuil Hall, Old State House & South Meeting House which I guess to mean we see it but don't go in it. Itinerary says we visit Old North Church which I assume means we get to go inside. Any one know of any reasons/conflicts why we shouldn't do the Freedom Trail on our "free" days? Any other suggestions? Thanks. Anne

Comments

• edited July 2012
    The Freedom Trail is just that..... you wander around some wonderful parts of Boston, so if you have time to do the Trail, yes, do it. Some of the things Tauck include are drive bys and some are photo stops so I really don't think there would be too much doubling up.You get a different perspective on foot. For other things to do in Boston ... the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum are must sees. There's the New England Aquarium, too, which is great fun. And just walking round the streets of Back Bay is a wonderful way to fill in a couple of hours. And yes, you do get to go inside the Old North Church. Our group walked in past the Paul Revere statue, then back down the hill on the other side (past the firefighters memorial) to the waiting bus.

Have a wonderful time. The Cape Cod trip is wonderful, too. The 2 trips go so well together.

Cheers,

Jan

PS I don't think the real Isabella Stewart Gardiner (see above edit) actually had to work for a living! Not with those Piero's & Giotto's on her wall! :)))
  • For the Imnues and J. Durkin regarding Boston and CapeCod. I agree with what J.Durkin said. I live on the South Shore of Mass. and very close to Cape Cod. That is a lovely time of year to visit. Also, while in Boston walk around the Harborfront. Lots of fun and interesting restaurants. The Legal Harborside has three different floors to pick from depending on what you want to eat. If you really aren't fishpeople try the Scrod. A very mild fish. Of course, I reccommend the lobster also. Have fun. I hope you enjoy our great city and the Cape. Have fun at Fenway even if the Sox don't win.
  • We just returned from the Cape Cod Tour. We did get into Boston 2 days before as the tour of Boston that Tauk included were just drive by's. We enjoyed the Hop on Hop Off Bus which included a river cruise. We bought the 2 day ticket and also had a Harbor cruise. So many historical stops. If you search the hop on hop off bus in Boston do read carefully. Some of the tours are limited, while others take you to many more stops We got off the bus at Harvard Square and walked around. (not all the hop on's take you over to Cambridge) You can go into the "yard" Lovely grounds. Walked thru Beacon Hill wich is really quite small so it does not take much time and is very nice to see. Also Commonwealth Ave from the hotel down to the park was a great walk with lovely townhomes on each side. So much to see. Enjoy
  • edited July 2012
    When I return to Boston (I'm a BU Grad) I always go to the Isabella Stewart G-a-r-d-n-e-r Museum. It is a wonderful building and collection. Has a new wing I haven't seen. The tour books will give you more info. Get a light lunch there , If you have to choose between the G-a-r-d-n-e-r or the Museum of Fine Arts chose the G-a-r-d-n-e-r . But the Japanese Garden at the Fine Art Museum is magnificent and you don't need to pay admission - entrance is on the outside. Same trolly stop as the G-a-r-d-n-e-r . Also good restaurant. Beacon Hill's Joy street is a must. check out the back side part of which is on the Black History tour.Try Legal Seafood - several locations.
This discussion has been closed.