Options

Laundry Facilities

I'm looking for information on where some laundry facilities are near these hotels (instead of using hotel laundry)!!!
1. Melbourne near the Langham
2. Sydney near the Intercontinental
3. Auckland near the Langham
Thank-you!

Comments

• Options
    I just googled part of your query, on the basis that I'd find the same thing from this side of the world that you would from yours. For balance, I used the standard research rule of googling what you already know. Well, sort of. I live in Melbourne but not near the Langham.

I didn't find any coin-in-the-slot, self-service or full service laundries within close proximity of the Melbourne Langham. There's a very logical reason why that would be the case. The Langham is situated in an area that services office towers, an arts precinct and some high rise apartments. The arts and offices aren't big users of self-service laundries and the apartment dwellers have their own laundry facilities. There are some laundries in the wider area, but not within easy walking distance.

My advice is wash as you go or use the hotel laundry service. I presume you have already checked that none of these hotels have guest laundries?

You might have more luck with the Auckland Langham because unlike the Sydney Intercontinental it isn't situated in the main financial district of major city! ;) Suits don't usually take their washing to work!

Past travellers from the Grand Australian might have some other suggestions.

Cheers,

Jan

• Options
    Hello TL19711 - I'll be on the September 10, 2012 Grand Australia/NZ tour with my Aunt. I have had the same questions about guest laundry facilities that do not involve the typically-exorbitant hotel laundry service. Based on my research (as recent as last evening), many hotels on the tour appear to provide self-service laundry facilities for guests, according to a travel website called www.venere.com. However, I also checked individual websites: Langham Melbourne, Kewarra Beach Resort (confirmed via hotel website), InterContinental Sydney, Langham Auckland, Distinction Te Anau (confirmed via hotel website). I plan on emailing the hotels to confirm services/rates (unless this is all already outlined in our tour packet, which I expect in the next week or so). I'm happy to post updates at that time.
    Happy Travels!
    Gwynne
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    If you direct your inquiries to each hotel property's Concierge, via email, they will be able to provide you with all the information you need insofar as laundry facilities, locations, and services. In the subject line of the email, I would write "ATTN: CONCIERGE/GUEST SERVICES INQUIRES" so the email is directed to the appropriate individual(s).
  • Options
    Hi GMac,
    Thank-you for the info. Have a great trip in September. Please post updates when you return.
  • Options
    Hi nyfeds,
    Great suggestion...thank-you!
  • Options
    jdurkin...looking forward to visiting your country! I've enjoyed reading all of your past posts about Australia, along with some of your other adventures. Thank-you for the laundry facilities information, also.
  • Options
    You're very welcome. Have a wonderful time. We took the New Zealand portion of your tour and it was absolutely fantastic! New Zealand is a spectacular country! Enjoy!
  • Options
    We're going in December so if you get information or have feedback I'd love to hear from you. So far from other postings it sounds like the laundry near the Sydney hotel sounds like a good bet.
  • Options
    Hi-

You are in for a great trip! We went in Nov. 2011. Best laundry facilities in Sydney are out the main door of the hotel, turn left and cross the street, walk about a block, turn left onto a small side street (I think there's a small sign on the wall.) At the end of that block and directly across is a laundry. Ask for wash and fold. Price is by the bag so stuff everything you can. DO NOT ask for ironing unless you really want to empty your wallet. We paid less than $15.00. Get there early in the morning and your clothes will be ready for you by that afternoon. We picked up this info using Tauck's forum, Trip Advisor and our tour director.

Safe travels,
    Two2go
  • Options
    nyfeds gave me an excellent suggestion to contact the concierges at the various hotels in Melbourne, Sydney, and Auckland! I did that and they all responded within 6 hours!!

From the Langham, Melbourne...self-service laundry (Melbourne City Dry Cleaners and Laundromat) within a 20 minutes walk from the hotel; Dial-A-Laundry will collect guest laundry in the morning and return it washed, dried, and folded in the evening of the same day, also it appears a company called Laundry Spa does the same thing. According the the concierge, the Dial-A-Laundry and Laundry Spa have reasonable rate and they said their guests that have used them have been happy with the services.

InterContinental Sydney...within walking distance from the hotel...Phillip Lane Elegant Dry Cleaners (1 minute walk from the hotel) or Wash on the Rocks (10 minute walking from hotel...pick-up and delivery is $8 each way at Wash on the Rocks.

Langham Auckland...closest options to hotel are KR City Travellers on Karangahape Road, Suds Laundromat on Fort Street, and Forte Convenience Limited on Symonds Street

We will be washing out many of our clothes, but it's nice to know there are a few options.

Again, the concierge were very helpful and willing to share this information.

Happy Travels to All!!
  • Options
    Good to hear you received the information you needed!

Happy travels to you, too!
  • Options
    TL19711 wrote:
    From the Langham, Melbourne...self-service laundry (Melbourne City Dry Cleaners and Laundromat) within a 20 minutes walk from the hotel

You know, I found that one and I thought to myself ... that's miles from the Langham on foot. What tied (and grubby ;)) traveller would want to lug their grubby ;) clothes that far! So glad the concierge was able to provide more practical information that I could. Sometimes I think there's nothing a good concierge doesn't know. They sure earn those keys on their uniforms!

Have a great trip!

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.