Options

Romanian excursions

We are booked on a September river cruise from Budapest to Bucharest. Could anyone offer a critique of either of the
Romanian excursions. Which is the best to take? Either the trip to Bran Castle in Transylvania or the Snagov Monastery and Caldarusani Monastery? Thank you for any information on these choices.

Comments

• Options
    I did this trip in September, 2010, and I chose the monasteries tour. As a history nut, I found the monasteries fascinating. The Orthodox churches were very interesting ... the iconography amazing. And you get to take a photo of Vlad the Impaler's tomb! In such a different culture from what, I guess, most of us are used to, it was a wonderful experience and hospitality of the monks was heartwarming. The art on display in the churches and monasteries is unique. Interesting countryside, through wine-growing areas, too.

The weather, when I went, warranted a jacket and a few removable layers!
  • Options
    Hi,
    We are taking this river cruise in August and will let you know about the Bran Castle tour. I have been to Monasteries around the World and want to do Bran. When are you leaving? We return on the 31st of August.

Sheila
  • Options
    Hi Mimijane,

Just heard that the coach ride to Bran was very very long. If so, we will probably choose to go to the Monastery. Will post when we return the 1st of September.

Sheila
  • Options
    Hi Mimijane,

We just returned from a very interesting Bucharest to Budapest river cruise on the beautiful new Tauck ship, Treasures. We ended up going on the Bran Castle tour. The ride was fine and we got to spend some time in the beautiful city of Brasov which is surrounded on three sides by mountains before touring the castle. We had weather in the 100's and I did not tour the Castle since I was told the rooms were dark and small. I have a problem with that and sat outside on a bench just enjoying the views. The people who took the alternate tour to the Monasteries thoroughly enjoyed their day also. If you want any further info, just ask. Your Tour Director can also help you with your decision. Our TD's were fab.

Sheila
This discussion has been closed.