SCOTLAND July 2022

I'll be traveling Solo on the Week in Scotland Tour this coming July 24 – July 31, 2022. I will have a free day in Edinburgh at the end and a free day in Glasgow, as I'm arriving early. Any tips for solo travel in Scotland? Glasgow or Edinburgh. Thanks.

Comments

• Edinburgh….just outside in nearby Leigh, you can visit and go on to the Royal Yacht Britannia. Holyrood house is much more interesting than the castle if it is open.

• I lost my comment when I tried to edit it to add a comma! The short version is: I've been to both cities as a solo. Both cities offer good walking tours, which I have done. Glasgow has great museums -- Kelvingrove, the Hunterian (several different museums spread around the University of Glasgow), People's Palace (which is a museum of the city of Glasgow) -- and 2 locations of Willow Tea Rooms . I went to the one on Buchanan Street for a lovely lunch. You can also get a student-led tour of Glasgow University. There are tours of Edinburgh Castle, if you don't see enough of it with Tauck. If you like scotch, do the Scotch Whiskey Experience on the Royal Mile. I had a good, inexpensive lunch in the crypt of St. Giles Cathedral, also on the Royal Mile. Edinburgh is a great city just to roam around. I did a day trip to St. Andrews (booked on Viator) from Edinburgh and had a great lunch at Forgan's there.

• edited November 2021

You can easily get around Edinburgh on the Midloathian bus (probably similar services in Glasgow). There are some posts about what we did in and around Edinburgh on the England, Scotland, Wales forum (right side of this page). Check out Rosslyn Chapel, Hopetoun House, Royal Yacht Britannia, Craigmillar Castle, Linlithgow Palace, etc.

• Do a custom whiskey flight at the Balmoral bar in Edinburgh. They will ask you what you like, smoky, peaty, etc. Intimate, cozy bar with wonderful waitstaff. We shared a flight and had a charcuterie plate for lunch as the assortment was all full pours. Although they had pours up to 2000 pounds a glass, the server selected 4 in the 6-7 pound range. Classy!

• In Glasgow, do the "Clockwork Orange", a subway system

• Seconding Holyrood and Royal Yacht Britannia in Leith! And if you don't climb Arthur's Seat on your tour, that's well worth it in good weather. It seems like you're just missing the return of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo but if you do manage to overlap, it's a great show. For dining, the Palm Court high tea at the Balmoral or the Dome are really beautiful experiences. The Ivy is great too and if you want to an easy way to try haggis, the fried haggis balls at the Cannonball are a good start. August is the festival month so you might catch the beginning of all the cocktail gardens around the city center. If you're willing to be on the move all day, tour groups do day trips up to Glencoe and the Highlands. I recommend Timberbush Tours. It's a whirlwind but the landscape is stunning. Can you tell I miss Scotland?

• Thank You for the suggestions. Looking forward to the trip.

• Elena870 is now quoting AlanS verbatim!