Just back from the Israel and Jordan trip

2»

Comments

• Hi! I'd love to take this tour with my mother (active 75 year old). We went on a wonderful Scandinavian Tauck tour with her previously and we both loved the trip. After reading the tour details of the Israel/Jordan trip, I am worried about the walking, cart ride in Petra, and the camal ride for my mom. What are the details? Have any other seniors had any problems with these things? Any insights or comments are appreciated.
    Thank you, Susan
  • Our group had people from age 18 to people in their 80's.
    Yes...there is a lot of walking a a good bit of it is on cobblestone sidewalks, etc. Everyone managed just fine in our group. Most people wore good walking sandals or sneakers.
    The day we went to Petra my back went out and I could barely walk. Our guide arranged for me to take the cart to the Treasury (the rest of the grouped walked). I was told by the Dr. NOT to ride a camel so I used walking sticks and wandered around Petra on my own and then took the cart back up. The hotel is in walking distance so I just went back there. Our tour director arranged for me to have lunch at the hotel on Tauck since the rest of the group was having lunch at Petra.
  • I took this trip in the Fall of 2010. It was my third trip to Israel; never had been to Jordan. Yes, there is a lot of walking, and yes, you will feel VERY safe. I must say that I learned a great deal about the Islam and Christian
    religions (I'd previously been on Jewis;h tours). Our guides were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I walked with my friend through the Old City of Jerusalem several times and found some very aggressive venders; keep walking and don't stop or you'll get roped in! Jordan was beautiful, Petra was magnificent. I don't have a bad back but I'd advise anyone with problems not to take the camel ride. I loved it and our guide was dressed
    up exactly like Johnny Depp in the Pirate movies. His picture must be in a thousand houses. Enjoy!
  • Would like any info on the trip including clothes and the pre-tour stay in Tel Aviv. Email address vncromd @aol.com
  • Hi , we are scheduled for the May trip and would love anyone's notes and suggestions ! Thanks in advance !

coleridge
  • schmerl wrote:
    Just arrived home last night from our Israel and Jordan trip.
    The trip was WONDERFUL. I am exhausted, but enlightened.
    Our tour director and all our local guides were wonderful.
    LOTS of walking and lots of learning.
    We were very well fed and cared for. Our group was great and everyone became friends. I love the fact they divided the group for touring in Jerusalem which made getting around the Old City much easier.
    Tauck really knows how to put a trip together!
    I'd be happy to answer any questions.
    Good afternoon Schmerl, I wrote to you a few days ago inquiring about your notes from your Israel/Jordan trip. My husband and I are leaving this coming Monday, October 29th and would really appreciate feedback. Any info would be great. My email address is ellen.perper@gmail.com. Thank you.

• Gee, could others of us also get your notes? I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,Coleridge
  • I would be keen to!

pcgilchrist @ hotmail.com

(note remove the spaces before and after the @ symbol)

thanks!

peter
  • Peter....just sent the info out to youl.
    To others...I need your email address in order to send you any info.
  • Hi, Schmerl, I would like a copy of your notes. We are scheduled to go December 3, but.. I must say it's looking iffy that we will go. However, we will probably go later if December doesn't work out. thanks, My email is eliza_davis@comcast.net
  • Just sent them SJFlygirl . I hope you get to go on your trip as scheduled and have a wonderful time.
This discussion has been closed.