Options

A portrait of India

A few questions - where is the best place to get a massage? Any trouble with Mosquitos? Any trouble getting reservations for dinner? We were each going to pack one regular suitcase, one smaller carry on bag plus one personal bag to use on the coaches - will this work? Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

Comments

• Options
    I have the same questions so will look forward to any replies.

I also would like to ask about shoes; reading somewhere it was mentioned conditions were dusty so it might help to wear socks if one plans to wear sandals ? Bathroom facilities; Squat toilets? I am considering ease of skirts vs. pants?
  • Options
    RGood wrote:
    A few questions - where is the best place to get a massage? Any trouble with Mosquitos? Any trouble getting reservations for dinner? We were each going to pack one regular suitcase, one smaller carry on bag plus one personal bag to use on the coaches - will this work? Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

Hello RGood,

Regarding massages and dinner reservations I would suggest asking your Tauck Tour Director. He/she will have all that information for you. As for mosquitoes, it is suggested that you bring along some DEET insect repellant.

Regarding luggage: Due to space limitations aboard the motorcoaches and international airline regulations, only one average-sized piece of checked luggage per person, with an approximate combined dimension of 54 inches (height and width) and weighing a maximum of 44 pounds (23kgs), is allowed. In addition, guests are limited to one carry-on bag not to exceed 15 pounds, or 22 inches long, 14 inches wide, and 10 inches high in dimension.

There will be two occasions during your trip when weight restrictions on our intra-tour flights will require you to pack an overnight bag in place of your primary luggage:
    1.) When you depart Delhi for your overnight in Varanasi and Khajuraho on Day 4 (you will be reunited with your primary luggage upon arrival in Agra on Day 6), and,
    2.) on Day 9, when your primary luggage will be collected late in the evening for transport early the next morning from Jaipur to Udaipur. (You will be reunited with your primary luggage on Day 10 in Udaipur).

For your convenience, you will be provided with an overnight bag upon arrival in India, which you may use for this purpose. The use of an overnight bag on these
    occasions will facilitate the separate transportation of your primary luggage, which cannot travel with us on our intra-tour flights due to weight.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    stf wrote:
    I have the same questions so will look forward to any replies.

I also would like to ask about shoes; reading somewhere it was mentioned conditions were dusty so it might help to wear socks if one plans to wear sandals ? Bathroom facilities; Squat toilets? I am considering ease of skirts vs. pants?

Hello stf,

We only suggest that you wear shoes that are very comfortable for walking. It is up to you whether you'd like to wear sock with sandals.

Regarding restrooms:
    Public toilet facilities are few and far between. Guests are encouraged to take every opportunity to use a clean toilet in places such as hotels and restaurants. Most hotels catering to foreigners provide Western style restroom facilities.

It is usually best to avoid use of public rest-rooms. If forced to use accommodations in unknown surroundings, it is important to know what to expect. Indian -style toilets will most likely consist of a hole in the ground in place of a western-style toilet and will substitute water in place of toilet paper. If you are fastidious, carrying toilet paper and soap or some sort of hand sanitizer at all times may be beneficial.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
This discussion has been closed.