Rhine and Moselle - North

Going June 6, 2013 from Basel to Amsterdam for our 25th Anniversary. Very excited. Can some one advise me if I should arrive in Basel a day early (coming from LA)? What would you advise us to see? I am staying an extra day in Amsterdam. How does one arrange a tour of the Ann Frank House? Are the nights to "dress up" on the cruise?

Comments

• As far as Basel I would advise arriving one ahead just to get over jet lag and be able to enjoy the beginning of the trip. I did not find too much to do there and the tour of the city included in the tour seemed to show all there was. If I remember correctly there was a good art museum or something to see. Might be more that I am not aware of, you might try tourist info for that town. Might be something out of town that you could see some of countryside.

As far as Anne Frank you just get in line. I went around lunch time on our tour of the city and had enough time. I went by on a Sunday and the lines where much longer than on the Monday, but might have been because of Queen's day that was a few days before and town was still crowded from that. I went in early May and did the tulips outside of town. I caught a bus with connection at airport and took me right to the gate. Was no need of taking a tour and having time limited.

Enjoy was a great trip.
  • We took this river tour in June 2011 starting in Basel. It was wonderful! We went a day early ( coming from Seattle a good idea) Easy city to walk around and explore, several nice areas to explore just on foot. For our extra day in Amsterdam, we made our Anne Frank house tour reservations on line several weeks before we left and were very glad we did...long lines and we were able to just walk right in to the "held ticket" lines. Except for the "first and last" night dinner most people dressed very casually for the dinners.
  • I wish I had know about getting tickets early for Anne Frank house. I am doing Italy in the fall and reading Rick Steve's book like I am studying for a test. I want to make sure I am informed for this trip.
This discussion has been closed.