Options

Vietnam, Cambodia & Thailand - Jan. 28, 2013 trip - visas and air

Would love to hear from anyone going on this trip in Jan. What air are you using? What about the visas. Anyone doing it on their own. If anyone has gone on this trip, would love to know about the visas - did folks stand on line in Cambodia to do this?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    We are booked on the 1/28/13 trip and are equally interested in your visa questions having just read the high priced visa procedure from Tauck's suggested supplier. We are going a few days early to do a day trip to HaLong Bay. Hotel concierge in Hanoi can arrange for car with driver and guide plus cruise. Don't recall cost but it goes down with more people. Interested?
    LTJGGJC
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hello.
    I'm going on this trip Nov. 2012. I'm getting my visa through a travel agency not Tauck- $70.00 for the Vietnam visa.
    for the Cambodia I'm taking my pass. etc to the consulate of Cambodia in Seattle , another $50.00 and I'm good.
    I was told not to do the e-visa. you must do a special line @ the airport in Cambodia to enter and some times it takes up to 1hour or 2.

• Options
    Thank you both for responding.

We live in NJ and, therefore, will be going to NYC to get the visas. Milena, you will be vacationing before LTJGGJC and myself. When you return, I would appreciate you letting us know on this forum any hints that you can give us about our trip. I have traveled many times with Tauck and always enjoy their trips.

Hi LTJGGJC - look forward to meeting you on our trip. We are arriving early on Jan 27 and I know we will need that day to recoup from the long air trip; and so we will not be going to HaLong Bay. I have read that many folks enjoy this trip.
  • Options
    We took this trip on about the same date last January. We were scheduled to take it a year earlier but had to cancel at the last moment. The first time we dutifully got our Vietnam visas from the consulate in San Francisco ($85 each at that time) and used a local service to secure the Cambodian visas (about $140 for both, as I recall). Last January when we actually went on the trip (our previous visas were no longer valid) I got VOA's (visas on arrival, saving a few bucks) in Vietnam, which worked our quite well. There are a number of online sites that will do that. For Cambodia, I actually mailed the passports and applications to the embassy in DC ($40 for the visas and about $30 for Fed Ex, as I recall). One never has a good feeling sending off one's passport, but it worked out very well for us. On the tour, upon arrival at Siem Reap, we moved through the airport quite quickly, so I don't think there was anyone without a visa. Whether that was taken care of beforehand by our Tour Director or local guide, I don't know. I do not believe there would be time for someone to stand in line to wait for a visa while everyone waits on the coach. We have done ten trips with Tauck, a number of them with on-tour air travel, and we have NEVER moved through airports with such efficiency! Our TD took our passports. returned them when necessary and took them right back! Local guides checked us in and we were given our seat assignments and tickets while still on the coach at the airport.
    About visiting at this time of year...We were there during New Year celebrations which were fascinating. If you have any questions about the tour, please feel free to email me at joyce_sw@att.net. This was a great trip, and Tauck does a beautiful job of enlightening their guests to each of the cultures you will visit. You will absolutely LOVE Chiang Mai and The Four Seasons (perhaps the most astounding accommodations we have ever had, and that after ten trips with Tauck!)! As our Tour Director (quite a joker) said when we left, "What a dump!!!"
  • Options
    Thank you Joyce for replying. I will e-mail you with my other questions. I think this will be by 8th trip with Tauck and it is nice to hear you say there are more surprises. Barbara
  • Options
    Hi! We just returned from this FABULOUS trip on November 22, 2012. Get the visas ahead of time. If you can mail them to the consulates WITH PREPAID RETURN ENVELOPES, you will be just fine. Otherwise, consider Pinnacle. We live outside of DC so we were able to head in to get them in person. Vaccinations--only typhoid will be necessary as you do not go into heavily mosquitoed areas. Siem Reap is really the only place and you are not out after dark when mosquitoes are at their best. DO take insect repellant if you are a bug magnet, though. My husband used it; I did not. No bites. We had fabulous weather throughout but of course that cannot be guaranteed. Be open to new experiences and foods and have a great time.
  • Options
    Can any of you who have taken this trip tell me how ladies dress for daytime touring? Are capris and shorts acceptable? Do you get to swim? Going a iabout 3 weeks. Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hello Diane,

The climate in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam is hot and humid year round. You will need to pack cool, casual clothes. Capris and shorts will be fine. For dining in the evening, you may enjoy dressing up a bit. "Casual elegant" attire is perfectly acceptable.

There will be opportunities for swimming.

Hope this helps,
    Emily

This discussion has been closed.