Options

ATM machines

Whe I called my ATM bank (Chase) yesterday to tell them that I would be going to South America, they said that there is so much pickpocketing and cybercrime in Chile and Brazil that they could not guarantee that my ATM card would give me money in those countries and that I should bring cash.

Has anyone who has taken this trip had any problems with using an ATM?

Comments

• Options
    Hi ORW,

I have not heard of this before. I assume that if you go to any bank ATM you would be allowed to use your ATM card as long as it belongs to any of the interbank networks include NYCE, PULSE, PLUS, Cirrus, AFFN, Interac, Interswitch, STAR, LINK, MegaLink and BancNet (the logos on the back of the card). will double check with our South American expert but nothing like what you have described has been reported to us.

I'll keep you posted,
    Emily
  • Options
    On a trip to Peru and Ecuador in May 2012, Chase would not authorize us to use our Chase ATM card in Peru but we could use it in Ecuador; however, we were able to use another bank's ATM card with no problem. We carry two different ATM cards and always notify our banks of our travel dates and travel destinations.
This discussion has been closed.