August trip Budapest to Black Sea

Just seeing if anyone else is going on the Early August trip, traveling as a single and going in a day early to Budapest. May try to find family members while there early. Also how safe is it to travel outside the hotel in Budapest, can't wait just booked my airfare this week.

Comments

• I did the Blue Danube a few years ago and started in Budapest. I felt perfectly safe as a single, but have since read how you have to be careful of pickpockets. This year I am going to Italy, thinking of getting velcroe for my pockets. Recently someone told me she used safety pins on her pockets to deter pickpockets.

Just be aware of who is around you and if there is something distracting could be pickpockets around. I did find the locals friendly and had a great time did the tour of parliment (get tickets ahead of time I believe you can book online or something so don't waste time in line getting tickets) and did the Jewish synagogue.
  • I'm doing the June trip going the opposite way. I have been told that the less safe place is Bucharest, where I will be for a day on my own. Apparently there is a big problem with pickpockets and Gypsys.

I was in Budapest in the late 1990s and did not feel unsafe. Of course that could be much different now. The synagogue was beautiful and worth a visit. Tony Curtis was instrumental in the renovation as his father was a Hungarian jew. We actually met him as he was there for some function and was staying at our hotel. We talked to him in the bar!

Hope we both have great trips!

Sue
This discussion has been closed.