Options

Athens sights and dining

We will be traveling to Greece and Turkey in May. We will arrive in Athens a day early and would like to know if there are any great spots to visit or dine while we prepare for the trip to start. It would be nice to go some place that is not included in the trip schedule unless it is a place that would be nice to spend some extra time. We would like to absorb the local culture if possible. Thanks for any advice you can share with us.

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I took this trip last September and really enjoyed it. For your early arrival in Athens, which we also did, I would recommend a visit to the Benaki Museum. It contains a variety of Greek art and artifacts in a recently renovated building. It can be seen easily in about 2 or 3 hours. And its an easy walk from Tauck's hotel, only a couple of blocks east. Their web site is: http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?lang=en

As far as dining, we enjoyed a couple of the outdoor tavernas in the nearby Plaka district. I dont remember the specific ones we chose, there are lots of them and their menus are similar. These are also an easy walk from the hotel, just ask for a map at the hotel concierge.
  • Options
    Iowaboy wrote:
    My wife and I took this trip last September and really enjoyed it. For your early arrival in Athens, which we also did, I would recommend a visit to the Benaki Museum. It contains a variety of Greek art and artifacts in a recently renovated building. It can be seen easily in about 2 or 3 hours. And its an easy walk from Tauck's hotel, only a couple of blocks east. Their web site is: http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?lang=en

As far as dining, we enjoyed a couple of the outdoor tavernas in the nearby Plaka district. I dont remember the specific ones we chose, there are lots of them and their menus are similar. These are also an easy walk from the hotel, just ask for a map at the hotel concierge.

Thanks!
    We are heading over in a month and don't want to wander aimlessly in the day and a half before the tour officially begins. Did your Tauck tour director offer any recommendations regarding restaurants and things to see or do during your "free time" in Athens (that obviously were not covered on the official tour)?
  • Options
    We are going to be a day early in Istanbul for the tour to Athens. We have the same questions, only in Istanbul, about something to do, or a place to have dinner, the night before the tour officially starts and morning before we meet. Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.