Options

Stirling Castle

We have some questions about the day trip out of Edinburgh that includes the visit to Stirling Castle.
1)How much time is spent at Stirling Castle and does that time include the lunch period for the day?
2)Is the tour with a guide or self-guided?
3)Does the tour include the reproduction tapestry-making activities going on at the castle?
4)Does the visit at the castle include any “free time” to see parts of the castle not involved in the main tour?
5)Is it possible to stay at the castle and get picked up on the way back to Edinburgh - one of us doesn't like being on a boat (Lock Lomond)

Comments

• Options
    Instead of hoping that someone who has taken the trip can answer your questions, I would suggest that you call Tauck directly. I have not done this tour, however on other tours when I had similar type of questions, I would call the 800 number and a representative would give me the information. I have found over time that whenever I am not sure about something, calling Tauck directly gave me the answers immediately since they have a more detailed itineray on file.
  • Options
    I did A Week In... Scotland in 2011, so the day trip to Stirling Castle was out of Glasgow and not Edinburgh. On that trip, however, the tour was self-guided and and we spent a couple hours at the castle.
  • Options
    Dear BlueDevil,

We get to Stirling when they open for the day (about 9:30am) and we spend about 2 ½ hours there in total and doesn’t include lunch. We do have a guide, but they are public guides and not guaranteed to be exclusive to our group (in other words there may be other independent visitors at Stirling that join our group).

There is a little bit of free-time for guests to wander around on their own before we depart. We do see the completed reproduction tapestries that are on display, but we don’t visit the Tapestry Studio building which is the small brown roofed building pictured below on the top right of the map.

Nor do we have lunch at Stirling, instead we board the coach and drive to the Cameron House Hotel for lunch, which is about 30 minutes away from the castle.

Unfortunately, there is not an opportunity to stay at Stirling and be picked up after our luncheon and cruise, unless one wanted to forgo our planned lunch and boat ride and arrange your own transportation back to our hotel following your time at Stirling at your own expense, (there is a café on site to enjoy lunch) but it will be about a one hour taxi ride from Stirling back to Edinburgh, and I suspect quite expensive (and perhaps you would need to pay the deadhead charge back to the castle).

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Thank you. I've heard that there's also a train between Stirling and Edinburgh but I think we'll stay with the tour!
This discussion has been closed.