pre and post stays

We are on the July 6th Canadian Capital Cities tour but will be staying the extra day pre and post tour. Any suggestions for a "do not miss" experience--either tour or dining--in Montreal or Toronto?

Comments

• Hi,

My sister and I did this tour in 2009. We came into Montreal a day early and we went to the Montreal Botanical Gardens. Even in the late September drizzle, they were something to see. I've been there twice...once it was part of a Tauck tour, but this time it wasn't so we went on our own. They're located near Olympic Park and we took photos of the remaining buildings from the Montreal Olympics, too. We took the underground from the station located below the Queen Elizabeth (your hotel)...it was really easy. For food, we weren't going to try Poutine because it sounded so disgusting (french fries smothered in gravy and chesse curds), but we found a place close to the hotel and ended up really liking it. The gravy wasn't what we expected...it was more like a sauce than gravy. We split a sandwich and plate of Poutine. It's not gourmet but one of the only foods that Montreal is known for!

We didn't stay an extra day in Toronto, so I don't have suggestions for that. During our free time in Ottawa, we went out to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police training facility...I had seen the Musical Ride perform (the blsck horses and men in red coats) but since Tauck no longer stops there, we went on our own. We really enjoyed it, but then again I'm a horse person. I think we went to a museum in Toronto...there is a lot to see. We also went to a farmer's market that the tour director pointed out. I love Quebec City (have been on three different tours) but this was my first time in Ottawa and Toronto. I would go back to either if I have a chance.

Enjoy...it was a really fun trip. My third to Eastern Canada with Tauck.
  • Thanks so much for the helpful info!
  • mngunnells wrote:
    We are on the July 6th Canadian Capital Cities tour but will be staying the extra day pre and post tour. Any suggestions for a "do not miss" experience--either tour or dining--in Montreal or Toronto?

If you are looking for a unique dining experience, I recommend L'Auberge St. Gabrielle, on Rue Gabrielle in old town Montreal.
    The building was constructed in the 1600's and was the first inn in North America. The restaurant has the feel of history, yet at the same time is very modern and clean inside. The food is excellent and you will be in the middle of the historical district if you want to take a walk before or after dinner. The restaurant has a web-site that you may explore if you would like more information.
    If you appreciate excellent wood working, don't miss the Notre Dame Cathedral: It is amazingly beautiful inside. The previous recommendation of the Jardin Botanique(botonical Gardens) is excellent as well. Enjoy Montreal...Quebec will be even better.
    John
  • Now that the tour has changed and starts in Toronto and ends in Quebec, I HIGHLY recommend staying an extra day or two in Quebec. Take a food walking tour (its wonderful) and several resturaunts in town are incredible (though I would avoid dining at the Frontenac).
This discussion has been closed.