Jet Boat Ride in NZ

Are there any alternatives to taking the jet boat ride? I know it is supposed to be a highlight, but I know that I don't enjoy speed and getting jostled around. Are there some people on the tour who choose not to do this activity?

Comments

• Hi Roz,

I did this tour in Nov. 2011 and have to say the Jet Boat Ride was a highlight in NZ for me and my 70 yr old mother!! There were people who did not do the boat ride and they hung out and watched/waited.

My father chose not to do the ride and regretted it. I was worried about the jostling, but my worry was for nothing. It is fast and you do turns, but the driver alerts you and you know it's coming. You aren't sliding on the seats at all.

It's not a long ride, but so much fun!!! They have a website that you can watch videos....I'd check it out and possibly think of giving it a try!!! http://www.shotoverjet.com/

Have fun, either way, the trip is FANTASTIC!!!
  • I agree with Kathy...We did the jet boat ride and loved it! My wife is very cautious about what she does due to a tendency to get "motion-sickness", however, she did the jet boat with no regrets. It actually is a very smooth ride...just fast. We thought it to be one of the highlights of the trip...along with a helicopter ride to the top of the Remarkables (New Zealand Alps). I don't know that there is an alternative to the excursion but almost everyone on our tour did it. This is a great trip and I would love to go back!!
  • roz47 wrote:
    Are there any alternatives to taking the jet boat ride? I know it is supposed to be a highlight, but I know that I don't enjoy speed and getting jostled around. Are there some people on the tour who choose not to do this activity?

It was a horrifying experience for me. Don't let anyone bully you into doing it. I was, espcially by our guide. (not Tauck).
    It was cold, jerky, everything I was afraid it would be. Everyone else loved it. I hate, hate, hate roller coasters. So, know yourself.
  • roz47 wrote:

It was a horrifying experience for me. Don't let anyone bully you into doing it. I was, espcially by our guide. (not Tauck).
    It was cold, jerky, everything I was afraid it would be. Everyone else loved it. I hate, hate, hate roller coasters. So, know yourself.
  • The jet boat ride is not very long, and the starting point is in a scenic locale. I think you might just enjoy walking around a bit while others go on the ride. There may even be a little souvenir shop at the launch site (my memory's a little foggy on that point).
  • Roz47,
    We did this trip November 2012 and loved everything about it including the jetboat ride. I cannot swim, have a neck problem, and am not a speed freak, but this was so much fun. Everyone on our tour, including an 89 year old retired physician and his wife, who walked with a cane, did this and everyone was very glad they did. I think the mini bus ride over the mountain was far scarier than the jetboat ride but it was all amazing to do/see.

You can watch as others go on the ride and, if you are still scared, just don't do it and stand by the boarding point and wait. It's a short ride, maybe 10 minutes or less. They start/end at the same spot. There is no shop there as it's really only a stopping point for people to take the ride. The drivers are very safe; there is no real bouncing around, and while the turns are sharp, they aren't neck-jarring.

I'm surprised to read that "oilrag" was bullied into going because neither our tauck guide nor the boat operators were pushy. No skin off their nose if you don't go but it IS fun.
  • We did this trip in 2006. The jet boat was the highlight of the trip for me. It was followed by a helicopter ride which was also fantastic. My husband didn't love it, thought it was quite scary. There was a woman on our boat who injured her back and had to be taken to the hospital. The Tauck director arranged everything for her, and she was able to continue the rest of the trip with us but in pain. Watch another boat go out and then decide. If you don't go, you can just wait there at the boat launch area until they return.
  • Definately dicide for yourself if it is for you. But the ride to the jetboat is worse than the jetboat ride. You can always say no to all the ride down the dirt road, the jetboat ride and the helicopter ride if you want and go up to the top of the mountain on the gondala. If you don't want to miss the helicopter ride and will not mind the ride down to the jetboat then go and watch.
  • edited March 2013
    We, too, took that boat ride and it was thrilling and definetly a highlight for us. However, there was a woman in our boat who became quite ill during the ride and asked to be taken off the boat. Needless to say, her request was complied with. It is a very personal decision as to whether or not this type of activity is for you. Just know, if you find, while on the boat, that this is really not for you, speak up and you will be taken back to the launch site. Good luck with your decision and have a great time. New Zealand is one magnificent country!
  • roz47 wrote:

Hi roz47,

It is completely up to you whether or not you want to do the jet boat ride. there are always a couple people who sit it out. Although, there is not an alternative activity, there are places to sit and relax.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Even if you choose not to participate in the actual boat ride, do not miss this day. I won't say anymore but it was one of the best. There is no gift shop where we launched but you could choose to hang out at the river basin and wait.
    Even though we had a 91 and 85 year old on the boat ride, it's what you are comfortable with. Two of the women on our trip were very hesitant about this and did it and loved it.

This discussion has been closed.