small group classic italy Apr 14

We need our own forum--anyone there?

Comments

• Hi we are going on Classic Italy-small group April 14...Janet & Robert here ..any one else?
  • Hi we are also going on the same trip as you guys. We are flying in a few days early so we can visit my dad's home town of Mirabella. Diane & Richie
  • Hi! We are Bill and Maria. We're both 56 and have been married 33 years. We have never been to Italy but have taken a Tauck Tour previously on our honeymoon to Hawaii. Our daughters, 23 and 26, will be traveling with us.
  • We have been to Venice for two days when we went to Greece but that is all. We are both half Italian and figured it was time to tour Italy and also visit my dads hometown. This is our first Tauk tour and was highly recommended by our travel agent. I'm 59 and Richie is 66. We have been married 31 years and have a 29 year old son...
  • Hi Janet and Robert, Diane and Ritchie! How wonderful your dad lives in Mirabella, Diane. You probably can speak some Italian then? I've been trying to learn--I'm 100% Italian but have never been to Italy or speak Italian prior to preparing for the trip.

We are from Wichita Kansas. We're from Pennsylvania and NJ but have been here long enough that I guess we're midwesterners now!

Does anyone know the size of their checked luggage? Tauck requests that you don't bring anything too big because of the small buses, but what is too big? I have a 28"(62 total inches LWH)--is that ok? Is anyone getting by with something smaller? Maria & Bill
  • edited March 2013
    Hi Everyone, Bob and I are also both 56 , our daughters are 28,26 & 24, but will not be with us this time (we had an awesome time when they did 8 years ago).Two of them will be home dog sitting.

I am half Italian, and trying to get my rosetta stone to work but it's not working so well. I was hoping to speak a little oh well..hahaha.

We are arriving a day early, and hoping to make our connecting flight.

Diane & Richie -Tauck is top notch in every way.
  • Hi "Bob and I!" Unless I just can't see it, what is "I's" name? Wonderful meeting more people on the forum!-Maria & Bill
  • Sorry Maria & Bill ...I is Janet of Janet & Robert(Bob)
  • Oh sorry, my fault! I should have looked at the screen name--I thought you were new to the forum! Maria
  • My dad left his home town of Mirabella when he was 7. Unfortunately neither one of us speaks Italian but I'm sure we will pick up a few words while we are all there.
    As for the luggage I don't know the size but they seem to be the common size I see in the airports. I know we will have a small carry on bag with essentials including a change of clothes just in case something happens to our luggage as we are changing planes in Paris France. We are actually arriving the 12th so we rest and recover the first day and then one day go to Mirabella, and another Capri. We wanted to get as much in as we could as we don't know if we will return to Italy ....we have a long "bucket list"!
  • We are Suzanne & Jim. Looking forward to getting away from New England's snow on the April 14th tour. We r 60/62 and this is our 1st visit to Italy. looking forward to meeting u all. Hoping not to need it, but hv heard an iron is not available in most hotels.? Of all things to think of on what sounds like a fantastic trip!
  • Hi Sadie,

I just did a quick google search for a couple of your hotel web sites. I checked the Westin Rome & Florence. The Florence hotel lists irons & ironing boards as standard room amenities, Rome didn't. I'm sure when you search all your hotels you'll find the answer to your conundrum! You could probably ask housekeeping for the loan of an iron and save the extra space for some lovely leather goodies you're bound to find along the way!

Have a great trip,

Cheers,

Jan
  • thk u!
  • Hi Sadie,

On the small group departures we do not stay at the Westin in Florence or Rome. Also, in Italy, by law, irons and ironing boards are not made available to guests at the hotels.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • montanari wrote:
    Hi Janet and Robert, Diane and Ritchie! How wonderful your dad lives in Mirabella, Diane. You probably can speak some Italian then? I've been trying to learn--I'm 100% Italian but have never been to Italy or speak Italian prior to preparing for the trip.

We are from Wichita Kansas. We're from Pennsylvania and NJ but have been here long enough that I guess we're midwesterners now!

Does anyone know the size of their checked luggage? Tauck requests that you don't bring anything too big because of the small buses, but what is too big? I have a 28"(62 total inches LWH)--is that ok? Is anyone getting by with something smaller? Maria & Bill

Hi Maria and Bill,

A 28" suitcase is fine.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Thank you Emily! Now that I know I can use the two 28''s I have, I only need to buy two 25''s for our family of four.
This discussion has been closed.