Top Ten Travel Tips

Here are Tauck's top ten travel tips! What are some of your favorites?

Top Ten: Don’t Forget Before You Go!

1. Don’t You Know Who I Am?
Airport security folks are people, too… but they won’t be happy campers if you don’t have your government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.) when boarding a domestic flight – and neither will you. So don’t leave home without it! Make sure it’s on you or in your carry-on before checking into your flight.

2. Hey… Why Won’t this #$%^@&!! Card Work??!!
Surprises can be fun… but NOT the kind you get when you’re traveling and your credit or ATM card won’t work! Contact your bank in advance to ask if you can use your cards where you’re traveling – and notify them of your travel dates so they’ll anticipate charges made outside your hometown and won’t suspend your cards for "suspicious" charges!

3. “Dude… Where’s My Car?”
If you’re considering driving yourself and parking at the airport, do your homework and check out rates beforehand. Many parking lots outside the main terminals sometimes offer discounted coupons. And be sure to save your ticket and note where you’re parked… wandering the lot for hours in search of your car is no way to end a great trip!

4. Know Before You Go… the TSA (and Everyone Else) Will Thank You!
Trust us… you DON’T want to be the one who holds up the airport security line by having the wrong stuff in your pockets, in your carry-on, etc. So check out the current TSA rules for items like toiletries and other liquids, learn your rights about body-scanning, and get other helpful info at: http://www.tsa.gov

5. Um… I CAN’T Eat THAT…
It may be hard to believe, but some longer flights actually still serve an onboard meal! If you’re aboard one of these flights and have a dietary restriction (like lactose intolerance, kosher meal, etc.), be sure to call the airline at least 2 weeks in advance of your trip… then double-check again a week before you leave!

6. Hey, There’s My Bag… No, Wait… THERE’s My Bag… No, Wait…
Standing at the airport baggage carousel waiting for your luggage is not the best time to realize that practically everyone (and their yappy little dog, too) has a black, pulley-type suitcase. If you do, too, attach a brightly colored scarf, colored tape or colored luggage tags to your bag before you leave… it’ll stand out in the crowd and be easy to spot!

7. Hello…. Anybody Home?
It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that if your mailbox is overflowing or there’s an Everest of newspapers on your doorstep, you’re probably away. Before you go, call the paper to stop delivery while you’re traveling… and temporarily stop your U.S. mail by clicking here: https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/landingView.do

8. Duh…What’s My Name Again??
Everybody knows their name, right? You’d be surprised at how many problems are caused by names on passports not exactly matching those on airline reservations, etc. The TSA requires passengers to provide their name exactly as it appears on their passport or government issued I.D., so be sure your reservations are in the name on your passport!

9. Stay Healthy… and Stay Insured…
To get the most out of your Tauck trip, you should be in good health and able to walk reasonable distances; some great sightseeing can only be done on foot over unpaved, uneven surfaces. If you have a medical condition that might limit your activities, check with your physician and contact your health insurance provider before you go.

10. I Need to Be There WHEN???
There’s nothing worse than a mad last-minute dash to make your plane – especially with today’s tighter security. And because every carrier and every airport has different rules about how early you should arrive for flight check in, you need to contact your individual carrier for this information BEFORE your departure day… and get there on time!

Comments

• Before traveling scan as a .pdf file passport, visas, credit card & cash cards, anything else you would be horrified if lost, and e-mail to yourself. Don't forget to include the direct dial numbers for those credit card companies to call (collect usually)to cancel. Then if things get lost or stolen, you can go to any computer and print the copies. It's helpful to include addresses and phone numbers for embassies along the way, but hopefully you'll never need them.
  • Traveling at certain times of the year can be a challenge for packing, as you need layers of clothing, including sweaters and a jacket. I have found that the roll-style vacuum bags (Space Bags) are invaluable in economizing on room in your suitcase, enabling you to bring along the appropriate apparel.
  • Does anyone know the TSA policy about knitting needles or sewing needles? The TSA website does not mention anything. My mom is a knitter and wants to know if she can bring her project on the plane. My guess is no, but deos anyone know for sure?
  • I bring knitting needles. I don't bring the metal ones - just the bamboo and don't have any problem. Crochet hooks are fine.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks tauck for sharing such useful tips in this forum!!!

• edited December 2011
    its useful information thanks for sharing with us..

Thanks,
    Toronto Pearson airport taxi halong bay cruises
  • edited December 2011
    Nice Informative post for me. I am also a fond of travel, your tips helps me a lot. Thanks for sharing these tips.
  • Thanks a lot for sharing your useful travel tips. The most important tip: Keep your expectations low and your sense of adventure high. Put another way “Prepare for culture shock. Be open and ready to learn.” You are going to interact with people who may have a dramatically different approach to life than you do, eat food that has unusual names, and deal with problems that will inevitably crop up. Be cool, be calm, and keep in mind that you are fortunate enough to do something that many, many people will never have the chance to do.
  • To add to the most recent post on "travel tips" : "Be a traveler, not a tourist". On an independent trip we took to South America, we received a special compliment from one of our "guides". We had asked a lot of questions about the place we were in, the customs, the economy, the government (elections were going on), history, our understanding of things from our pre-travel reading as opposed to his opinions, etc. Upon our apologies for asking so many questions, he said he really enjoyed our conversations much more than his just talking TO us. Said we were real travellers -- not JUST tourists. Enjoy the experience, & be grateful for the chance to travel.
  • I am taking my first International Trip in a few days, and I chose Tauck Tours to do it with. I am really appreciative of Tauck's Forum. Every time I check for tips I find a new one. I must say MONichols tip about scanning important documents was absolutely perfect to ease my anxieties if I were to lose mine. Thank you. It is appreciated that travelers take the time to post.
  • edited January 2012
    Well.. All these above tips are useful but we should to consider on taking a suitable travel insurance policy in account before going anywhere as it cover all unnecessary circumstance which may come.
  • Hello Friends you all have shared nice and worthy Tips in your post. Its a really helpful for all Travelers. Thanks for sharing..! :)
  • Well.. All these above tips are useful but we should to consider on taking a suitable travel insurance policy in account before going anywhere as it cover all unnecessary circumstance which may come.
    In addition to good medical insurance, I have medical evacuation insurance. It is not all that expensive to get coverage for a full year. The one I have covers me if I am at least 150 miles from home and will take me to any hospital I choose.
  • Hi Gail!! Tauck's insurance does cover medical evacuation. There is a whole section about it in their insurance policy. My aunt and uncle actually had to use it on two trips and everything went seamlessly. Having had to file a claim after my husband got sick on our Israel trip I can attest to the fact that Tauck's insurance plan was excellent. Our only problem was getting the claim through our own carrier. (Tauck's insurance requires that you submit your claim to your own carrier first.) Having been through that experience I strongly suggest when seeing a doctor on a trip that you make sure that every fact of the situation is clearly documented. Our doctor clearly stated the treatment he gave -- cost -- etc. -- but Aetna was still very difficult to deal with. After they finally processed the claim -- dealing with Tauck's insurer was a breeze!
  • Thanks for these valuable points.
  • Easy but important tips: -

1) Carry medication with you, not in your suitcase. Keep it in aboriginal pharmacy bottles, not the Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday containers.

2) Always admonish your acclaim agenda aggregation you’re travelling. If you don’t, your acclaim agenda may be arctic while you’re abroad because of the crisis of fraud.

3) Always leave a archetype of your authorization and biking abstracts at home just in case.

4) Your toiletries are actual important, abnormally facecloths.

5) If you’re traveling to Europe, abrasion the a lot of adequate brace of shoes you accept because there will be affluence of abundant walking.
    6) Never leave home without travel insurance.
    7) In public, walk as if you know where you’re going, even if you don’t. Approach someone in a uniform or information desk for assistance rather than looking lost.
    8) Hide your valuables in a money belt close to your body.
    9) Don’t overpack. Remember that the people you meet tomorrow aren’t going to know you had the same pair of slacks on the day before.
    10) Relax and enjoy yourself.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much space.”

https://www.facebook.com/salliehayden
    http://www.swedishstyle.com.au/travel-tips/
  • Peg B wrote:
    To add to the most recent post on "travel tips" : "Be a traveler, not a tourist". On an independent trip we took to South America, we received a special compliment from one of our "guides". We had asked a lot of questions about the place we were in, the customs, the economy, the government (elections were going on), history, our understanding of things from our pre-travel reading as opposed to his opinions, etc. Upon our apologies for asking so many questions, he said he really enjoyed our conversations much more than his just talking TO us. Said we were real travellers -- not JUST tourists. Enjoy the experience, & be grateful for the chance to travel.

I couldn't agree more...It's better to be a traveler than a tourist, you'll learn a lot of things not only about the place but you'll also learn more about yourself. When you travel, have fun and feel the place, experience it, how? be a local, go to a place where locals go, and mingle with them. You'll be amazed on the things that you'll learn and realized after your travel.
  • No one can know about its future and what happen with him. To keep you away from unwanted threads and safe journey, traveling insurance consider good & importance in this terms. It helps to fulfill all the losses related to health or money.
  • Thanks for share the valuable information.
  • edited March 2013
    No doubt! Really a valuable tips posted here...

Apart from these tips, you also need few things to be taken care of while traveling around...

-Backpacker Glance
    -Source of Money
    -Never keep your wallet in your back jeans pocket
    -Keep scan of all your major documents
    -Don't follow any strangers
    -Have your travelling insurance with you
    -Keep your importance vaccines with you
    -Avoid to display your property to public
    -Check the instructor's certificate if you are going for life-risking adventure tasks
    -Do not leave your belongings in Public
    -Beware of using your credit card at an internet cafe
  • Chailreso wrote:
    No doubt! Really a valuable tips posted here...

Apart from these tips, you also need few things to be taken care of while traveling around...

-Backpacker Glance
    -Source of Money
    -Never keep your wallet in your back jeans pocket
    -Keep scan of all your major documents
    -Don't follow any strangers
    -Have your travelling insurance with you
    -Keep your importance vaccines with you
    -Avoid to display your property to public
    -Check the instructor's certificate if you are going for life-risking adventure tasks
    -Do not leave your belongings in Public
    -Beware of using your credit card at an internet cafe
  • One more tip--In addition to your id on your luggage....also put where you will be staying and the dates for the first place after your flight. Always try to plan your trip where your first visit is more than one night. It is very hard for the luggage to keep chasing you if it gets in late.
  • My husband and I each pack 1 change of underwear in a carry-on bag plus one day's clothing in the other person's suitcase. If one suitcase goes missing we at least have a set of clothing in the other person's suitcase. It came in very handy on a trip to Norway several years ago.
This discussion has been closed.