Euros- how many and where to get them?

We are on the Classic Italy tour and have some questions about Euros. Does one usually get a better conversion rate if you wait til you arrive in Italy to get them to or is it better go ahead and get them through your bank here in the US? Is it best to plan to charge most purchases on your credit card rather than paying in Euros?
Ruby

Comments

• If you go directly through your bank, you should get a similar rate whether you get Euros here or in Italy, but your bank in the US will usually waive any fees if you have an account with them. I usually get some from my bank before I leave. If you wait until you get to Italy, the best rate is through your credit card or an ATM. Check and make sure your credit card does not charges a foreign transaction fee. ATMs usually charge fees also, though, and some banks charge a foreign exchange fee too (usually about the same as a foreign transaction fee on a credit card). I try to use my credit card whenever possible, and then pay cash, but my credit card does not have a foreign transaction fee. If it is does have the fee, it may be worth the peace of mind anyway to not be carrying around a lot of cash. However, you will need some cash as not all places accept credit cards.
  • I read in Rick Steves travel books better to hit atm and pay in cash. In Italy not uncommon to be charged extra for purchase when using a credit card.
This discussion has been closed.