Clothing during the day on Classic Italy tour

We are going on the Classic Italy tour. What is considered to be acceptable attire during the day on this tour? I know that for women knees and shoulders must be covered in the churches, but are jeans ok for both men and women as a general rule? Is it considered appropriate to wear jeans in the churches? My husband loves to wear jeans but wants to follow whatever dress codes there may be for the tour. Thanks.

Comments

• Hi- we are planning on wearing jeans and or knee length shorts if the weather turns warm. Ruebob
  • Our Classic Italy tour was in late September and it was very hot. I wore capris most of the time and my husband had both khaki dress shorts and long khaki pants that he wore with button-down, vented Columbia shirts. We decided not to take denim for two reasons 1) jeans are bulky and heavy when packed; 2) laundry facilities are hard to come by and INCREDIBLY expensive. It's much easier to spot clean or wash and hang light-weight travel friendly fabrics. I carried a scarf in my bag that I used to wrap around my shoulders when going into the churches. So the bottom line is this ... wear what you are comfortable in but remember your luggage weight limits ... 3 pair of khaki's to 1 pair of jeans! Enjoy your trip! You will not be disappointed!
  • Thanks for the responses about clothing during the day. What about attire at night when we attend dinners which are included in the tour? Also, how "dressy" are the welcome and farewell dinners?
  • The Welcome dinner in Sorrento was business casual.... Most women had on nice slacks, tops and sweaters. I brought a pair of black wrinkle-free travelers pants, several solid tanks and a sweater with several scarfs that could be interchanged to switch the look for dinners. Few men ever wore jackets to dinner. Our dinner at the hotel restaurant in Torgiano and the Farewell dinner in Venice seemed to be a tad more upscale. Togiano will be your first opportunity for sending out dirty clothes to the laundry and again ... it is VERY expensive. For the Farewell dinner, the ladies did wear travel style dresses or skirts (kicked up with jewelry or scarves) and men wore button-down dress shirts - most wore ties. Since it was so warm the men who did wear jackets kept them on the back of the seats. My husband was very glad we opted to leave his blazer at home. The Farewell dinner was by no means "formal" so again, save that space in your luggage for something more useful!
This discussion has been closed.