Castles on the Rhine Riverboat July6, 2022 (Formerly 28, 2021 and July 26, 2020) Southbound

We are wondering if anyone else has booked this trip from Amsterdam to Basel. It's our 3rd Tauck trip but first riverboat cruise (and our third attempt at this trip- darn covid). We are also trying to figure out what to do for our one day in Basel or the area after we disembark, if anyone has suggestions.

Comments

• We did the Rhine/Moselle cruise ending in Basel a few years ago. Our cruise had a last day choice of Lucerne or Basel. We chose Lucerne as we were staying over in Basel to visit my grandfather's home town of Schaffausen/ Rhine Falls. Your day in Lucerne looks amazing - we just got an impromptu walking tour. Basel is a nice city but more of a business town. The red city hall/rathaus is interesting and there is a cool kinetic sculpture garden, and a cathedral. It does have good rail connections and if you stay in a hotel you get a free public transportation card for the city trams and buses. Very easy to use.

• Hello! I am doing this same trip on these dates! Traveling with my husband, 4 daughters and my parents. They have traveled with Tauck before and we have not tho we do travel a fair bit with our kids. But none of us have done a river cruise! Any advice would be appreciated! And just excited to hear about any special details so we can get even more excited about this trip (if that’s possible—we are all thrilled to travel on it)!

• Sarah, read lots of older posts in various Rhine cruise itineraries and you'll learn a lot about life on board and things to do at the sights you'll be stopping at. Sadly, the more child centered activities don't get much play here. For some reason ( busy with work, life, etc) the parents/grandparents on these tour may post some questions pre tour but virtually never come back afterwards and give feedback. Best of luck on a great cruise.

• Did the Amsterdam Basel river boat tour. We had a great time, a little short. We went to Zurich instead of staying in Basel, more flight options but not that impressed with Zurich. We stayed in an airport hotel, took the train downtown (very efficient) spent the afternoon walking around, caught our flight out of Zurich the next am. There were no kids on our riverboat, there was one teen girl who looked mad everyday all day, felt bad for the adults with her.

• SarahMc, Welcome! What age are your daughters? Mine will be just shy of 14 and heading into 9th grade when we take the trip. We did the Tauck Alps tour last summer and Peru in 2017. We love to cruise (Disney, Princess and HAL), but this is our first riverboat cruise. Some friends took an AMA trip last year (sans kids) and really enjoyed it. We prefer trips with other kids since we have an only. We are arriving a day early and hope to obtain tickets to the Anne Frank house. We are staying a day after after and are debating on whether we should head to Bern when we disembark. We will fly out of Basel. We spend time in Lucerne and Zurich last trip. We are excited to go back up to Pilatus and hope for sunny weather. We were there on a cloudy day last time. I'm hoping we have time to ride the alpine slide up on Pilatus. We enjoyed that.

• I recommend buying tickets for Anne Frank house on line as soon as you can, I think they go on sale two months before the date you require.

• Suggestion, instead of Anne frank house, visit the resistance museum. Full of history about the takeover, interactive displays for all ages, lots of stories about kids, lots of displays, lot of history. when we visited I think I heard it’s a required field trip for school age persons in Amsterdam. There is a lot more there than a house. Oh and it’s only a 20-30 minute easy walk from the docks.

• Greetings everyone, We will be traveling with our son and daughter and their 4 kids. 10-16. Very excited about the tour. We have taken 8 or 9 tauck tours and loved them all but this is the first time with kids. We did the Danube river and it was on of our favorites. Thanks for the idea of the resistance museum. We will be there a day early. See you there!

• I'd also recommend the National Maritime Museum - Het Scheepvaartmuseum. Very well done and the kids might enjoy climbing around on the replica East Indian ship. The ticket includes audio guides and the coolest high tech locker room. And the restaurant is excellent.

• We rolled over our COVID cancelled 2020 trip to the same week for 2021. Now the waiting game continues, wondering if this will happen or not. We aren’t optimistic for 2021, so we are waiting to purchase our airfare. I see our ship changed and that TAUCK has to relinquish a few ships back to their owners. Anyone else on this trip with us?

• JCKinMN we rolled our Rhine River cruise scheduled September 2020 over to 2021. Tauck called us several months ago and the date (and boat, I think) was changed to mid August, 2021. We booked our air thru Tauck. Not optimistic but have our fingers crossed.

• edited March 2021

Grace is one of the two Scylla boats Tauck typically uses on the Rhine. It's sistership, Inspire, is being used by Scylla's subsidiary, Viva Cruises, at least through XMAS (our 2021 Rhine XMAS Mkts cruises has been cancelled)

• I’m hoping our riverboat cruise will really happen this summer! Anyone booked for July 6, 2022?

• My husband, daughter & I are booked for that week. I think I’m just now letting myself believe that this is finally going to happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file