Crazy Air Routing

Our flight from Istanbul to Zanzibar was cancelled for our trip in June. Pavlus routed us with the following:

Los Angeles to Istanbul
Istanbul to Dar Dar Es Salaam
Dar Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar
Zanzibar to Arusha

Has anyone done this?

Comments

• Pam W. Which tour are you going on? Is it the Tanzania Zanzibar tour? If so, why are you flying first to Zanzibar? That is totally bizarre. What airline are you using?

• Classic Kenya and Tanzania. June 10. Turkish Airlines.

• Are you adding on Zanzibar? I don’t get it.

• edited February 2022

PamW - Are you flying into Arusha airport or Kilimanjaro airport. When we did this tour we flew into Kiliminjaro (JRO) airport (LAX/AMS/JRO). If you're flying into Arusha airport that could be the reason for the crazy routing.

Does Tauck now require you to fly into Arusha airport in order to get the free pickup service to the hotel? If not you might check if you can get better routing into JRO.

Below is one example I found from LAX, this was on Qatar (only one stop). There were lots of choices with better routing than what you describe.

• We are on the June 25 K&T. Our routing on Delta/KLM is SFO-AMS-JRO with one hour forty in AMS. That is a closer connection than I prefer, but ‘they’ built it. So we will see.

• We are on the August 20 K&T, and our routing is on KLM ORD/AMS/JRO with a little over 3 hours in AMS.

• milmil
    edited February 2022

Why?
    PamW Hi.
    Unless you have bought already your air... make your life easier..
    LA-Amsterdam- JRO Arusha -Delta/ KLM no overnights stay
    you will arrive into Arusha around 1:00am-

• edited February 2022

We’ve flown twice from Philly via Amsterdam to Arusha., the International Kilimanjaro. Arusha airport is a small domestic airport.

Last time, we flew Qatar via Doha and would never use any other airline for this trip. The 6 hour layover will pass quickly if you fly business class, the Doha airport has great facilities and a fantastic lounge with areas where you can snooze, great food and shopping.
    The one hour forty is certainly tight if your flight is late or security delays you SeaLord. Take extra clothing in your carry on just in case.

• British! Hello
    Hey lady, question how's Doha airport? is it easy to navigate? Have you visited the city?
    There is a direct flight from Seattle to Doha and I was thinking maybe... I could go for a week and visit. Enjoy the day.
    Let me Know.

• Hey lady, question how's Doha airport? is it easy to navigate? Have you visited the city?

mil I know you addressed your question to British; however, I'd like to chime in. I flew Qatar Airlines based on a recommendation from British. I had a layover in Doha on my flights to and from Jordan/Egypt. The airport is FABULOUS--it has everything you may think you need. I didn't have any issues navigating. Shopping....be still my heart. The Business Class lounge is superior. There are ample seating areas, the food is delicious and there is full service dining upstairs.

My layovers were not extremely long so I cannot address visiting the city; however, I am starting to look at flights to Morocco. I really want to fly Qatar again and to do so requires a long layover in Doha (greater than 8 hours). I am considering extending it to a full day to tour the city. The Q-Suites can become addictive...I'm definitely hooked.

• Mil, will send you private message

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file