Options

Cruising the Dutch Waterways August 23 departure

Is anyone on the forum cruising the Dutch Waterways on the cruise leaving Amsterdam August 2023. Wife and I are from Knoxville TN and would like to connect

Comments

• Options

My husband and I are on the Dutch Waterways cruise with you. We are from Chesterfield, VA.

• Options

Looking forward to meeting you. We leave August 23. Is this your first Tauck Tour. We have been very happy with Tauck as it is our 8th or 9th trip with them. Saw an article on internet today that Amsterdam wants to close the port to cruise ships. I suppose they mean large ones. I am sure they couldn't do this any time soon. We are particularly interested in the art gallery in the Hague. We are both retired.

• Options

I saw the same article about Amsterdam which also mentioned they were looking to restrict river cruises. Its all mainly to do with over tourism in the city. This is just one vote and one city council. A long way from anything happening.

• Options

I have booked this tour for August 2024 and would really appreciate if you could post comments or reviews. Are you planning on doing the bike tour? I always choose bike tours. Have a great cruise.

• Options

I will post something. I am not much of a bike rider but I repair them for a local charity.

• Options

I want to thank you for offering to post about the bike ride. I prefer flat surfaces and can manage a slight incline. One of my favorite rides was on the Danube. The captain had to move the boat to another dock down the river.The crew brought the bikes out of storage and lowered my seat. We rode on the bike paths along the Danube and crossed over the street into the vineyards. There was only one slight incline when we were entering a village. The residents were amused and we were treated to a cold beer or wine and sat in the garden of the restaurant. We were delighted that we arrived before the boat. Have a great trip. The Dutch are very friendly and helpful.

• Options

I'm noticing some of the bike rides Tauck offers are now featuring electric bikes. That might make some non-Lance Armstrong bikers more interested.

• Options

I think they have been doing that for a while, but perhaps not on all tours. I was on the Rhine Enchantment river cruise in 2019, and we were given electric bikes on a ride through the Black Forest.

• Options

It will be our first Tauck cruise. We are looking forward to it. We are from NE Florida. We are not riding bikes. All tours we will take are on foot or buses.

• Options

I recently returned from Dutch Waterways that departed 8/23/23. I am not a bike rider but spoke with both riders and Tauck representatives on the ship. First of all Netherlands has no elevation. One person joked Netherlands total elevation change was the height of a cow. Most of the trips used bikes that were not ebikes. The last trip near Amsterdam had ebikes available. All reported having a great time.

• Options
    edited September 2023

I was on a Rhine Enchanted cruise in 2019 and don’t even remember a bike option. I would not have chosen it, it’s so long since I rode one, used to bike to work. Roads are too busy here and the bike trail nearby gets busy. I am a cautious Nelly and would be worried about inexperienced Tauckers running into me on a group bike ride rather than me worrying about falling off just because of my own ineptitude. I’ve never taken any other river cruises but assume in general, the bike rides are the least popular choice for most people on the tours.

• Options

Thank you very much Steve1211 for the information about the bikes used on the tour. I have a wonderful memory of riding a bike at Kinderdijk while the other Tauck travelers rode in the boat to see the windmills.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file