Options

Treasures of the Aegean - Athens To Do Before and after Tauck Cruise

Going on Treasures of the Aegean in September (2023). Suggestions for what to do a day early (before tour starts) and a day after, that tauck does not cover. Thank you!

Comments

• Options

We are on the September 14 trip, and will be there a day early and a day late. You will be staying at one of the nicest hotels in the world, and Athens is not Madrid nor Lisbon. You will find us enjoying the amenities of the hotel on our extra days.

• Options

If you're staying at the Grand Bretagne then there are loads of things to see within walking distance of the hotel - Hadrian's Arch, Olympic Stadium, Ancient Agora, Temple of Hephaestus, National History Museum, ...

The hotel is right on Syntagma Square which is fun to wander around as well - Tomb of Unknown Soldier, Parliament, ...

I went in 2011, so some of these may now be covered on the tour

• Options

There are a myriad of smaller museums that the tour does not cover. Two of our favorites are the Benaki https://www.benaki.org/index.php?lang=en and the Goulandris https://goulandris.gr/en/. The Goulandris features many masters of European art. The Benaki is actually several museums in one. Our favorite exhibit, and I don’t know if they are still showing these works, is by the Greek photographer known as Nelly’s (real name very long). Her best work was of dancers, sometimes photographed at the Acropolis sans clothing. Controversial back in the 1920’s.

• Options

Folsomdoc: Were you a ‘guest’ there, or work there, or just live in the town? I have a friend who spent five years as a guest in Lompoc … nicest guy you would ever want to know. Timothy Leary liked him … my friend broke him out of jail. (;-). Maybe or maybe not.

• Options

Folsomdoc: Were you a ‘guest’ there, or work there, or just live in the town? I have a friend who spent five years as a guest in Lompoc … nicest guy you would ever want to know. Timothy Leary liked him … my friend broke him out of jail. (;-). Maybe or maybe not.

Hmmm, interesting post, no clue what you are getting at.

• Options

I did not think it was that obtuse. You do have a prison in your town do you not?

• Options

Duh. I was thinking Athens. Yes, lived there at one time. Outside the walls. Still walk the Johnny Cash trail weekly up to the main gate. I give my regards to the correctional officer, walk back and ruin the 5 miles with a pastry in Old Folsom!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file