Options

Helicopter to Milford Sound

Good morning.
Just received trip documents and I see that there is an option to take a helicopter on the excursion to Milford Sound from Queenstown (Either one way or round trip) at an extra cost .
Have any of you taken advantage of this option? Would you recommend? One way perhaps?
There is a fairly long drive to get there but it sounds as if it's a beautiful one.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options

The Milford Sound excursion has a lot of time on the bus. We left at 7:30am and were back at the hotel at 7:45pm. The cruise on the sound was from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. The helicopter option would make this day easier.
    I recommend one way since the helicopter can be canceled due to weather. If you opt for the round trip the flight could be cancelled after the bus has left and you would miss Milford Sound. If you opt for the one way trip and the helicopter is cancelled due to weather you can return on the bus. That is what happened to us so I can't comment on the helicopter ride itself.
    Although without the flight this was a very long day there was general agreement in our group that it was worth it.

• Options

I did this trip this year and did not use the helicopter ride, some people in the tour did and were happy with it. I had a lot of fun in the bus riding back, one of the guys that stayed bought beer and we all enjoyed it. I did not think that saving a few hours was worth $500.00.

• Options

I agree with the previous comments. I did this trip in January 2023 and also felt the price of the helicopter wasn't worth it. The ride to Milford Sound is scenic and we made a rest stop along the way. During the return back there was a movie on the bus. I don't think anyone from my tour opted for the helicopter ride, however, the TD said the last group had many who did. Hope you enjoy this land journey - it's a good one!

• Options
    edited September 2023

All feel lucky - helicopter or bus. When I was scheduled to do Milford Sound, the excursion was cancelled because of snow closing the road from Queenstown to Milford Sound.

We did a jet boat ride on the Shotover river during the time instead.

That was many moons ago - November, 2003.

• Options

This tour must have changed since I took it. We got a helicopter ride from the Shotover jet boat ride back to Queenstown that was included, is this an extra ride? I really don’t recall a long bus ride to a Milford Sound, but our tour was a while ago.

• Options

British - We got a helicopter ride from the Shotover jet boat ride back to Queenstown

For us it was a short bus ride to/from Queenstown for the Shotover jet boat ride. It would have been a long bus ride to/from Milford Sound. Due to its length, to Milford Sound, is why the helicopter ride is offered.

• Options

When I went in 2018, we did Milford Sound before going to Queenstown, and there was no option for a helicopter ride except for the ride back from the jet boat ride on the Shotover River. My first helicopter ride. I was very nervous about it, but loved it. As the helicopters were flying over the mountains to pick us up, the theme from M.A.S.H. kept running through my head. Sounds like the itinerary has changed since 2018. Wayside is correct that the helicopter ride could be cancelled because of the weather. I've had a float plane ride (in Alaska) cancelled and a helicopter ride (in Hawaii) modified because of weather. I like Wayside's suggestion of taking the helicopter for the return trip only. I don't mind long bus rides. I love the scenery and, thank goodness, Tauck provides sufficient rest stops.

• Options

We went to Milford Sound in 2007.  It was very wet and cold.  It rained the whole time but we still managed to enjoy it.  

• Options

Noreen, that UofA jacket wouldn't be any good in the rain. It never rains in Tucson! :D

• Options

Sam - Growing up in Cork, Ireland it rained constantly regardless of the seasons and the grey skies from November to April and not a patch of blue was dreary.  I love living in Tucson even though it doesn't rain a lot and of course now I love the rain.  Never satisfied!

• Options

Noreen - Cork, Ireland - Well then Top of the Mornin to You! May good luck be with you wherever you go and your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow. :D

• Options

British the trip has changed and now to get to Milford Sound takes 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.

• Options

Thank you Gladysorlando984 for succinct information on this excursion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file