Options

Danube river cruise Oct 27,2023

Any advice for this trip as to temperature, clothing, room amenities etc. Are there choices for dinner? What type of food is offered in Arthur's? We will be in a category 7.

Comments

• Options

You can find all the details on the page for the tour. There are food choices. We never ate at Arthur’s on our tour because it was right by the exit for the smoking area, the door was open and it smelled badly of the smoke drifting in, we hardly ever saw anyone eating in there, I guess we were just unlucky having smokers on the tour.

• Options

Arthur’s serves early breakfast, and lunch and dinner. It also has a bar, a great coffee machine, and a selection of teas. It is directly below the crew smoking area one deck above so you may sometimes smell the smoke. There are few places in Europe where you will not smell smoke, but we did not find it objectionable. On our cruises Arthur’s was pretty full at lunch time so sharing tables was common.

Outside of breakfast, Arthur's is open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. each day, and lunch definitely is the most popular meal, as passengers can grab a quick and delicious casual bite outside or during the main restaurant's hours. The lunch menu is simple and doesn't change from day to day. It includes two salad choices, a rotating soup option (we loved the pumpkin) and entrees including a cheeseburger, club sandwich, bacon and onion flatbread pizza, and a decadent mac and cheese. The venue has its own, small kitchen, which is open so passengers can watch the chef flip burgers or make the bechamel sauce for the pasta. Dessert includes a fresh fruit plate, madeleines and an assortment of ice cream.

At dinner, the menu has some of the same options that are available for lunch, but it also adds a charcuterie board and appetizer as well as a ratatouille, seared yellow-fin tuna steak, chicken with aromatics and New York strip steak. Dessert is the same at lunch and dinner. While Arthur's is somewhat busy at lunch, it's fairly quiet at night, as most passengers elect to dine in Compass Rose. Still it's a solid casual option, which is welcomed after a long day exploring in port.

Cookies are always available in Arthur's as well, and we found ourselves grabbing chocolate chip cookies and coconut macaroons in off-hours.”

• Options

BUNNY264,

I have not taken this particular tour but have taken four (4) other Tauck river cruises. For attire, I recommend a mix and match wardrobe with warmer clothing if you plan to spend time on the top deck. If your itinerary includes special dinners onshore, you may wish to dress up a bit.

Yes, there will be choices for dinner but the menu is not extensive. There will typically be some regional specialties occasionally. The soups have always been my favorite. Arthur's offers a more casual experience.

Regarding smoking, there is supposedly a designated section on the top deck but I do not believe it was near Arthur's. We have never seen anyone smoking. That simply means we have not experienced any smokers.

The category seven (7) rooms are wonderful...ample room, comfortable, nice appointments, a couch and a large walk-in closet with an abundance of storage. The floor to ceiling windows offer plenty of light. The bathroom is also quite nice. There is no need to bring your own shampoo, conditioner or hair dryer. Breakfast room service is also offered to category seven (7) occupants. You will also be given some euros for use in the spa and/or gift shop.

Have a marvelous trip!

• Options

I really appreciate the enlightenment from the three responses. Very helpful. Thank you.

• Options

October is a great time for a Danube river cruise. The towns and villages on the river are not crowded with tourists and the fall foliage is spectacular. Daytime temperatures can be in the 60‘s and much cooler after sunset. It‘s best to pack clothes for layering and long underwear. I have taken this cruise and have lived in Austria.

• Options

Bunny264, this is a lovely cruise, because I'm not a big breakfast eater I always have breakfast n Arthur's and most of the time lunch, I have also dine in Arthur's but you must make a reservation, the cruise is a lot of fun, being October it may be a bit chilly but nothing to worry about. This is one of my favorite cruises. Being in Category 7 you can also have room service.

• Options

Hi Bunny264! I expect that you will have a WONDERFUL trip! This one may be my favorite of all time--I met such wonderful people, and the places we visited were amazing. I went in late October 2021. My travel uniform for that trip was a base layer shirt with a cashmere sweater on top. Cashmere sweaters are small and light to pack, but keep you warm when you need it. I had a mid-weight coat to go on top for mornings and cloudy days. On some sunny days a scarf as an added layer was perfect. Others brought hats and gloves for walking tours. And I always look for pants with extra pockets! Here's a picture of our group on the walking tour of Vienna.
    For dinners I usually wore slacks and a nice blouse. I brought a dress for a couple of the fancier dinners. Enjoy!

• Options

Good advance info - we are on October 13, 2024 trip. Looks like good time for fall colors, and cooler weather good for walking and bike riding. If anyone has recent pics from this trip - please post.

• Options

I was on the OCTOBER 13, 2023 departure for Blue Danube cruise! Just returned home after extending the time in Budapest by 4 days. Prague was quite chilly, cloudy and windy-wore layers plus a quilted jacket plus gloves and a hat. By the time we got to Budapest, the sun came out and it felt warmer but layers were needed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file