Options

Table Mountain Cableway Annual Maintenance

While scheduling a Walking City Tour with Cape Fusion (recommended by many of you) in Cape town I was informed that doing Table Mountain will not be possible during my time in the area. The Table mountain cableway just announced its dates for annual maintenance and will be closed from JULY 15-SEPTEMBER 1,2024.
For those of you who experienced this on previous Elegant adventure tours, did Tauck replace with another activity?
Perhaps a more in depth city tour? More time at the gardens?
I will of course speak with Tauck to ask what the plan will be.
Thanks All!

Comments

• Options

This isn't very practical unless you're young and really fit, but you can walk up Table Mountain. From a Google search

"There are five official hiking routes to the top, including India Venster, Kasteelspoort, Diagonal, Platteklip Gorge, and the North Table Mountain Ecological Reserve. The Platteklip Gorge route is the quickest, taking about two hours to hike up and one hour to hike down."

Not something I'd do at my age.

• Options

_Thanks for the info Mike. Might be a bit to strenuous for this girl. Looks like I'll settle for the view from my deluxe room at the Cape Grace!

• Options

Looks like we will luck out—we are due to be in Cape Town beginning September 10. We also will be taking the Walking City/Food Tour with Cape Fusion, and plan to do a visit and spend a little more time on our own on Table Mountain.

• Options

Stellie - _Thanks for the info Mike. Might be a bit to strenuous for this girl. Looks like I'll settle for the view from my deluxe room at the Cape Grace!

The Cape Grace is a very nice hotel. When we were there, they said they were going to close for a short while for renovations. I think that's been done so It's probably even better. It's in a great location, also.

• Options

They are taking us to Signal Hill as a substitute.

• Options

Hi, Stellie! Friends of ours hiked up Table Mountain and enjoyed it. But you know your own limits, so listen to your inner voice. 😉 To be honest, although it was a fun excursion and we are glad we got to ascend to the top of Table Mountain with Tauck, I would not say it was a top highlight of the tour for us. There were many other highlights of the trip! So I don’t think that you will be missing out on anything huge. (I think there may be an unintended pun in there somewhere considering we are talking about a mountain - LOL!) We had beautiful views of Cape Town when we went (on our own) to Robben Island, and from our hotel and the waterfront we had a fabulous view of Table Mountain. They do helicopter tours of Cape Town which might be cool and something to consider if you want that vantage point, but we did not do that. There was beautiful scenery along the way to the Cape of Good Hope as well. Our tours with Cape Fusion were actually more of a highlight for us because of the delve into the local culture and scenery, but of course everybody has different interests and preferences. Enjoy your trip!! I know you will! 😃

• Options

Buonviaggio thank you for prior recommendations for Cape Fusion Tours. Doing their 6 hour walking tour of city Covers a lot more then Tauck tour from what I understand! Happy holidays!

• Options

That’s awesome, Stellie! Yes, we got some great history and insight into South Africa, Cape Town and the South African people through our Cape Fusion tours, and it was a perfect way to kick off our trip. They do a great job. Let us know how it goes! Here’s to an incredible adventure! 🦁 🐯 🦏 🦛🐘🦒🦓🐆🐵 🦭 🐧 🍷 🥘